Used cpu+mobo

Go to solution Solved by themaniac,
7 minutes ago, Abel225 said:

Hi all!

i'm currently planning a new system build. As I am on a very tight budget I was thinking of getting used parts. I watched all the scrapyard wars (the last season twice) and was thinking of getting used mobo+cpu. I live in Hungary so the prices differ. I found two options that are to my liking. There are quite a few z68 motherboards so that does not matter much. I found a few i5 2500k and a few i7 2600 (non k) for relatively the same price (about 125~140 usd). it is a God deal as anew i5 6600k would be around (280~290 usd). I am just not sure if it is a good idea to buy something as old. My original plan was to get a 3770k but it is too hard to find a good motherboard. And the cou is more expensive than the i7 2600. Sooo after all the useless information. Just suggest your ideas! Thanks a lot!

yeah go for the used i7 2600 its still a great cpu and cpu's tend to last a long time

Hi all!

i'm currently planning a new system build. As I am on a very tight budget I was thinking of getting used parts. I watched all the scrapyard wars (the last season twice) and was thinking of getting used mobo+cpu. I live in Hungary so the prices differ. I found two options that are to my liking. There are quite a few z68 motherboards so that does not matter much. I found a few i5 2500k and a few i7 2600 (non k) for relatively the same price (about 125~140 usd). it is a God deal as anew i5 6600k would be around (280~290 usd). I am just not sure if it is a good idea to buy something as old. My original plan was to get a 3770k but it is too hard to find a good motherboard. And the cou is more expensive than the i7 2600. Sooo after all the useless information. Just suggest your ideas! Thanks a lot!

Intel core I5 4460, Gigabyte H97M-HD3, Gigabyte gtx 760, 8 GB corsair value ram, Thermaltake core v21, Thermaltake Smart 630W PSU

Alcatel OneTouch D5... IT WORKS!!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BxMjTW  

7 minutes ago, Abel225 said:

Hi all!

yeah go for the used i7 2600 its still a great cpu and cpu's tend to last a long time

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

Sorry I can't delete the second from my iPad. The next question is is it worth it to get something like a z68 or an h67? I guess not but I would like to know your answer. I was thinking maybe something like a h61 or something similar that is even cheaper. As I don't need any oc capability.

Intel core I5 4460, Gigabyte H97M-HD3, Gigabyte gtx 760, 8 GB corsair value ram, Thermaltake core v21, Thermaltake Smart 630W PSU

1 minute ago, Abel225 said:

Sorry I can't delete the second from my iPad. The next question is is it worth it to get something like a z68 or an h67? I guess not but I would like to know your answer. I was thinking maybe something like a h61 or something similar that is even cheaper. As I don't need any oc capability.

well it depends on if you need the features that the z68 and h67 motherboards have

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

If you want insane bang-for-buck with used parts, you'll want to know about the Xeon 771-to-775 socket mod.

Basically, used Xeon quad core CPUs are available for a ridiculously-cheap US$30 Buy-it-now price on Ebay, and with a bit of hackery can fit a regular LGA775 motherboard.

1 minute ago, PooPipeBoy said:

If you want insane bang-for-buck with used parts, you'll want to know about the Xeon 771-to-775 socket mod.

Basically, used Xeon quad core CPUs are available for a ridiculously-cheap US$30 Buy-it-now price on Ebay, and with a bit of hackery can fit a regular LGA775 motherboard.

I don't really like the xenon. As I might have to run the pic off of the igpu. And an 8 year old cpu is really too much. I'll still check it out.

3 minutes ago, themaniac said:

well it depends on if you need the features that the z68 and h67 motherboards have

Thanks a lot! I'll google everything!

1 minute ago, Abel225 said:

I don't really like the xenon. As I might have to run the pic off of the igpu. And an 8 year old cpu is really too much. I'll still check it out.

The Xeon X5460 performs similar to a Core i5 4460, if that gives you an indication of performance.

Plus it has 12MB of cache, being a Xeon.