Best solution for Fast Data Read and Write

Nadim Asaduzzaman

I am building a PC, but stuck with the storage solution. For storage, I'll use the WD Black 6TB HDD. What is the best solution for speed hard disk. I have seen a lotbof SSDs, NVMes and M.2. Which one is best?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k @ 4.2GHz - CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA - RAM: 2x8GB Cosair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz  - GPU: EVGA GEFORCE 980 Ti ACX2.0+ - Case: NZXT ATX Mid Tower CA-H442W-M1  - Storage:  1x Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, 1x WD Black 6TB - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2 80+ BRONZE Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Stealth

What's the budget and use case?

? M.2 is a physical format and NVMe is a protocol.

M.2 can be SATA/PCI-e and for PCI-e variants it can be AHCI or NVMe. 

Add in cards like the intel 750 SSD are also NVMe.

From a cost/performance perspective samsungs 950 pro NVMe M.2 512GB is a good option. Even if your MB does not have a slot you can use a PCI-e to M.2 adapter board. Boot support will require BIOS support. Skylake boards may allow you to raid two together in raid 0 if you wanted to. Even now though existing PCIe SSDs can saturate the DMI 3.0 link. 

11 hours ago, Nadim Asaduzzaman said:

~snip~

Hey there :) welcome to the community! 

Posting your specs would be helpful to us so we can better suggest something. :)

What are you planning to do with your build? Any specific programs or games that you'd like to play? 

WD Black 6TB is quite the performance drive and is rarely used as a secondary drive unless you really need the extra performance and durability from your secondary storage drive. If you don't I would recommend going for WD Blue as it is designed to handle pretty much anything you would typically store on your secondary drive. 

As for the main/OS drive it would again depend on the other parts as well as the required space and purpose of the build. Generally people go with SATA SSDs as they are fast enough for most usage types and choose the capacity according to the storage space they'd need for the OS, drivers and the more demanding applications. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

If not considering cost, but just performance which one will the best one?

Intel 750 or Samsung 950?

The WD Black will be for majority of my games and the SSD for most frequent games that I play and for Windows.

Edited by Nadim Asaduzzaman

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k @ 4.2GHz - CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA - RAM: 2x8GB Cosair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz  - GPU: EVGA GEFORCE 980 Ti ACX2.0+ - Case: NZXT ATX Mid Tower CA-H442W-M1  - Storage:  1x Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, 1x WD Black 6TB - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2 80+ BRONZE Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Stealth

14 hours ago, Nadim Asaduzzaman said:

~snip~

WD Black should serve you well and give you pretty good performance and reliability. :)

Unfortunately, as a Western Digital representative, I can't really comment or compare other companies' products. I could suggest looking for some reviews and spec sheets and compare their performance in terms of read/write speeds and IOPS. :)

I'm sure the rest of hte guys can give you some useful comments and suggestions! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/