Upgrading to Windows 10

wyatt1121

So I've had my laptop for just over 5 years now. It shipped with Windows 7 and, even though I love 7, it's time to make the jump to Windows 10. I've read and watched videos on how to upgrade (I know this is probably simple for most people but keep in mind that I'm not the best at OSs and software. I very rarely work with them.) It looks pretty simple to upgrade and I found a way to find my Windows 7 key by writing a .vbs (not sure how but it showed my a code that I'm assuming is it). I have Office 2007 installed which is the only one I'm worried about getting back because I need Office and wouldn't spend the money for the newer Office for an old laptop. So basically once I do a clean install, how do I go about getting my Office 2007 back. Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, wyatt1121 said:

So I've had my laptop for just over 5 years now. It shipped with Windows 7 and, even though I love 7, it's time to make the jump to Windows 10. I've read and watched videos on how to upgrade (I know this is probably simple for most people but keep in mind that I'm not the best at OSs and software. I very rarely work with them.) It looks pretty simple to upgrade and I found a way to find my Windows 7 key by writing a .vbs (not sure how but it showed my a code that I'm assuming is it). I have Office 2007 installed which is the only one I'm worried about getting back because I need Office and wouldn't spend the money for the newer Office for an old laptop. So basically once I do a clean install, how do I go about getting my Office 2007 back. Thanks in advance!

Well, I believe Windows 10 Upgrade keeps all of your old programs. So I'm pretty sure you would keep it just fine. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

Well, I believe Windows 10 Upgrade keeps all of your old programs. So I'm pretty sure you would keep it just fine. 

There is an option to do it that way but being an older laptop that's needed a clean install for awhile now, this is the best time to do it. I backed up all my files to a 1TB external drive. I just need to make sure I still have office. I use it for work and like I said wouldn't want to buy a newer version being that my laptop is 5 yrs old and may not make it long enough to be worth it. 

Just now, wyatt1121 said:

There is an option to do it that way but being an older laptop that's needed a clean install for awhile now, this is the best time to do it. I backed up all my files to a 1TB external drive. I just need to make sure I still have office. I use it for work and like I said wouldn't want to buy a newer version being that my laptop is 5 yrs old and may not make it long enough to be worth it. 

Oh, okay then. Unfortunately, I don't really know how you would be able to keep it. I haven't used Office since like, 2012. (My school uses Google Docs) Sorry I couldn't help any. Microsoft might be your best bet.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Windows 10 keeps all the programs as long as you upgrade to the same version level of Windows.

The URL below tells you what version of Windows 10 you will get based on the current version that you have

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

Is under "What edition will I get as part of the free upgrade?"

10 minutes ago, wyatt1121 said:

If you really want to keep your Office, as long as you have the product key or is linked to any Microsoft live id account you can redownload.

Office.com/setup is your have to get a download xD

If it is linked to your Live ID account just go to your account and get it from there.

4 minutes ago, Judeau09 said:

Windows 10 keeps all the programs as long as you upgrade to the same version level of Windows.

The URL below tells you what version of Windows 10 you will get based on the current version that you have

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

Is under "What edition will I get as part of the free upgrade?"

Ok. I knew I could just use my product key but after 5 years I've lost my product key and that's where my problem was. I'll give that a try. Thanks. 

38 minutes ago, Judeau09 said:

If you really want to keep your Office, as long as you have the product key or is linked to any Microsoft live id account you can redownload.

Office.com/setup is your have to get a download xD

If it is linked to your Live ID account just go to your account and get it from there.

Problem Solved. You can download a program called LicenseCrawler. Just download it, extract the files, run it, and it can tell you the key for every program installed. 

13 minutes ago, wyatt1121 said:

Problem Solved. You can download a program called LicenseCrawler. Just download it, extract the files, run it, and it can tell you the key for every program installed. 

That is nice, I will use it in the future if I need