Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu

I am running Ubuntu on an old laptop with a 2nd gen i5 and a GTX 540M.

Every time I try to install the Nvidia drivers for my graphics card, my Ubuntu installation crashes and I have to format/reinstall everything. I talked to some friends and the general knowledge is that Nvidia drivers for Ubuntu haven't worked well for ages, and usually corrupt the OS installation. Has anyone managed to install those drivers successfully, or is there any other alternative? I heard something about some sort of open source drivers for Nvidia GPUs, has anyone tried those?

I really don't want to switch back to Windows every time I need to use my GPU ;)

thanks,

i believe thats an issue with nvidia optimus.

although, i have a laptop with a 2nd gen i7, GT540M (theres no X there bro xD) running manjaro linux like a dream.

its even doing some gaming pretty well.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

i believe thats an issue with nvidia optimus.

although, i have a laptop with a 2nd gen i7, GT540M (theres no X there bro xD) running manjaro linux like a dream.

its even doing some gaming pretty well.

Yup, you're right, no X in there hahah

Anyway do you know some way of bypassing this optimus stuff? Cause I run Linux Mint with no problem at all on the GPU side of things, I just really wanted to switch to Ubuntu...

Thanks for the reply anyway :D 

1 hour ago, Guilherme Alles said:

Yup, you're right, no X in there hahah

Anyway do you know some way of bypassing this optimus stuff? Cause I run Linux Mint with no problem at all on the GPU side of things, I just really wanted to switch to Ubuntu...

Thanks for the reply anyway :D 

well, the problem is most likely the specific package ubuntu is providing.

i hop distros like there's no tomorrow, but whenever i try something on the debian tree its a fail each time. i've grown to like atheros linux quite quickly, its basicly arch linux, but with an easy to use installer like the *buntu's offer.