Speed loss through internet switch?

Bakemono858

I am trying to split two ethernet connections and using a gigabit switch (Netgear GS105). For whatever reason I get a little bit lower speeds than hardwired to the router as well as disconnections while gaming. I can completely use the internet and youtube just fine, but I get huge spikes randomly while playing anything. I've done speed tests throughout the days and it will always dip down low enough to the point where I am assuming it's disconnecting. Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks!

Now that I'm hardwired from the router, I'm getting the same disconnects but less frequently... Going to just contact my isp.

2 minutes ago, Bakemono858 said:

... Going to just contact my isp.

Good plan

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Unless you have a loop, i.e. two ethernet cables between the router and switch without *both* being set for LACP or a manual link aggregation, a switch should not cause degraded speeds in the slightest. What you may be seeing though is that background communications on a modern computer can easily hover around 100kbps constant. For some reason I have especially seen this with cFosSpeed (the Asus branded version, I forget what they call it) running on one computer, it generated a constant 140kbps traffic on the network that I could verify was from cFosSpeed but never investigated further into what it was doing (I just uninstalled it).

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: