Upgrade to what?

Ok, I'm looking at different processors and I really don't know which is the best to go with my build.

my specs are below.

970DE3/U3S3 by ASRock with a AM3+ Cpu socket 

atm I'm stuck with an old Phenom 2 X6 1045t (2.7ghz) Cpu

Asus Radeon R9 380 4GB OC edition.

700watt Psu 

8GB Ballistiks Ram. 

If if anyone could recommend a cpu  worth getting that is compatible with my set up that would be great. I was looking into the Amd Fx-8320 but I wanted to get some opinions before buying.

25 minutes ago, Ladboys said:

Ok, I'm looking at different processors and I really don't know which is the best to go with my build.

my specs are below.

700watt Psu 

8GB Ballistiks Ram. 

If if anyone could recommend a cpu  worth getting that is compatible with my set up that would be great. I was looking into the Amd Fx-8320 but I wanted to get some opinions before buying.

Platform switch, AMD to haswell. Exactly what psu btw?

Get a 4690k, it'll be a huge upgrade; they're cheaper than the 6600k but very nearly as good. Also, it means you don't need to buy DDR4 RAM, which is nice. 

3 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

Get a 4690k, it'll be a huge upgrade; they're cheaper than the 6600k but very nearly as good. Also, it means you don't need to buy DDR4 RAM, which is nice. 

Wrong unfortunately.... The 6700k is not a huge improvement when compared to the 4790k, HOWEVER the 6600k boasts a hefty performancce increase over the 4690K, especially when overclocked. Overclocked it easily manages the quad core performance of the 6700k.

Get the 6600k, that is your best bet.

CPU: i7 5820k @3.2           Motherboard: Asrock x99x Killer           CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO           GPU: Asus 280x DirectCU II

Case: NZXT S340            RAM: 8GB Hyperx Fury DDR4 @2133MHz           HDD: Corsair Force LS 120GB           PSU: EVGA GQ 650W 80+GOLD

51 minutes ago, Ladboys said:

my specs are below.

700watt Psu 

8GB Ballistiks Ram. 

If you're looking to stay with AMD I'll sell you my 6350 for $90

8 minutes ago, かあびぃ said:

Wrong unfortunately.... The 6700k is not a huge improvement when compared to the 4790k, HOWEVER the 6600k boasts a hefty performancce increase over the 4690K, especially when overclocked. Overclocked it easily manages the quad core performance of the 6700k.

Really? It's about 5 -15% faster than a 4690k isn't it? It's not even like it overclocks way higher either. 

Anyway, even with a powerful GPU, you're often reaching the limit of what that's capable of, before you reach the limit of what your CPU is capable of (hence an overclocked 2500k/2600k still being decent gaming chips, despite their age). 

Will I need an upgrade to ddr4? My mobo uses ddr3 so that's why I ask.

Just now, Matt100HP said:

Really? It's about 5 -15% faster than a 4690k isn't it? It's not even like it overclocks way higher either. 

Anyway, even with a powerful GPU, you're often reaching the limit of what that's capable of, before you reach the limit of what your CPU is capable of (hence an overclocked 2500k/2600k still being decent gaming chips, despite their age). 

Without it being overclocked it hovers around 15-20% faster, and that is in games! Non overclocked, and unfortunately it does overclocks higher, easier. Not by alot i'll give you that, but IMO you can get a new socket with a "new" cpu for almost the same price, and its faster. 

Too good a deal right now to get skylake for me to recommend someone getting haswell if they're not already on 1150, or they got a great deal on some used hardware.

And as you can see in the video, there is also a difference when it comes to bottlenecking. The 6600k is simply just better actually, on a better platform, with better RAM, and almost at the same price.

CPU: i7 5820k @3.2           Motherboard: Asrock x99x Killer           CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO           GPU: Asus 280x DirectCU II

Case: NZXT S340            RAM: 8GB Hyperx Fury DDR4 @2133MHz           HDD: Corsair Force LS 120GB           PSU: EVGA GQ 650W 80+GOLD

4 minutes ago, Ladboys said:

Will I need an upgrade to ddr3? My mobo uses ddr3 so that's why I ask.

You'll need to get ddr4 if you are gonna go skylake, but its almost the same price as ddr3(we're talking 4-ish $ difference.

7 minutes ago, Ladboys said:
24 minutes ago, かあびぃ said:

Isn't the 6600k a apu? Never had any experience with these so I didn't know they could run solo, I thought they had Gpus to go with them. Also would I need ddr4 to use it? 

Just now, Ladboys said:

Well, no. It has integrated graphics, but not to the same degree. I do not know exactly what the difference is on a APU's integrated graphics compared to a CPU with integrated graphics.

3 minutes ago, かあびぃ said:

<snip>

Once you take into account the more expensive processor and the cost of 8GB of DDR4 RAM you're looking at nearly 30% more cost (using Amazon UK prices). That said, I didn't realise how quick the 6600k was, it's 5% better than I thought.

1 minute ago, Matt100HP said:

Once you take into account the more expensive processor and the cost of 8GB of DDR4 RAM you're looking at nearly 30% more cost (using Amazon UK prices). That said, I didn't realise how quick the 6600k was, it's 5% better than I thought.

IPC is 5% better.

1 minute ago, Matt100HP said:

That´s why you don´t us only amazon uk prices. Pcpartpicker has some things to say to that.

14 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

That´s why you don´t us only amazon uk prices. Pcpartpicker has some things to say to that.

PC Part Picker, at least in the UK, is often simply wrong (suspciously it's usually for the cheapest prices...). Also, it has companies such as eBuyer, who I wouldn't buy anything off, never mind expensive PC components. 

It can be a very useful tool, but it's certainly not worth taking the UK version of PCPP's listed prices at face value. The most recent example I've seen was a 185 quid GTX 970, which (eBuyer, what a surprise...) didn't exist. 

23 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

PC Part Picker, at least in the UK, is often simply wrong (suspciously it's usually for the cheapest prices...). Also, it has companies such as eBuyer, who I wouldn't buy anything off, never mind expensive PC components. 

It can be a very useful tool, but it's certainly not worth taking the UK version of PCPP's listed prices at face value. The most recent example I've seen was a 185 quid GTX 970, which (eBuyer, what a surprise...) didn't exist. 

Anyways, do some price surfing and find the best deals, or if you want i could do that for you.

18 minutes ago, かあびぃ said:

Anyways, do some price surfing and find the best deals, or if you want i could do that for you.

Thanks, that's very kind of you, but when I'm actually looking to buy stuff, I make sure I find the best price from a retailer I trust; a few extra pounds is often worth it for good customer service, in my opinion. 

Just now, Matt100HP said:

Thanks, that's very kind of you, but when I'm actually looking to buy stuff, I make sure I find the best price from a retailer I trust; a few extra pounds is often worth it for good customer service, in my opinion. 

Was towards the OP(sorry if it came off a bit offensive). I don't mind paying a bit more for a better vendor.

1 minute ago, かあびぃ said:

Was towards the OP(sorry if it came off a bit offensive). I don't mind paying a bit more for a better vendor.

No offence taken at all, to whomever you were offering your time, it was a kind gesture :) . 

So yeah looking for something that is comparable with Ddr3 ram and will give me at least better performance than my current cpu so my Gpu isn't bottlenecked.