Upgrading PC

Hello Everyone. I want to upgrade my 7-8 years old computer to run a new games (maby not on max settings) and avoid spending loads of cash.

And I totaly DO NOT want to buy some parts that can be bottlenecked by cpu or motherboard or something else. Just want to have fluently working pc for another year or two. 

My pc is:

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 (rev1)

Intel i7 860 (LGA 1156)

AMD Radeon HD4890 (club 3d superclocked edition)

4 GB of ram (I know.... I know.....)

1 tb 7200 rpm hard disk drive (I think it's going to fail soon so this one needs to be replaced ASAP) 

By the way it's student's budget :)

4 minutes ago, OSKARASPAJ1 said:

Hello Everyone. I want to upgrade my 7-8 years old computer to run a new games (maby not on max settings) and avoid spending loads of cash.

And I totaly DO NOT want to buy some parts that can be bottlenecked by cpu or motherboard or something else. Just want to have fluently working pc for another year or two. 

My pc is:

Intel i7 860 (LGA 1156)

1 tb 7200 rpm hard disk drive (I think it's going to fail soon so this one needs to be replaced ASAP) 

8gb of ram would certainly help

The single component that will give you the best performance however is a new GPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127876&cm_re=amd_graphics_card-_-14-127-876-_-Product

AMD option

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091&cm_re=nvidia_gpu-_-14-487-091-_-Product

Nvidia option

You may encounter a bottleneck but that's not that big of an issue to be honest. If you want something to last at least 2 years then you will end up with a bottleneck.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Yes but is there any cheaper dx 12 gpu's? thinking of used R9 260x/270x (i live in eastern europe and for one gtx 960 i can rent myself a flat for a month :) )

4 minutes ago, beebskadoo said:

You may encounter a bottleneck but that's not that big of an issue to be honest. If you want something to last at least 2 years then you will end up with a bottleneck.

So how do you avoid bottlenecking in this situation? Replace cpu?

Just now, OSKARASPAJ1 said:

Yes but is there any cheaper dx 12 gpu's? thinking of used R9 260x/270x (i live in eastern europe and for one gtx 960 i can rent myself a flat for a month :) )

Use the quote option when speaking directly to someone.

if you can find a used 270x then go for it!

yeah there are cheaper options but they won't perform as well and aren't really recommendd in my opinion :)

If you can find a used 290 for cheap then I would try for that otherwise the 270x is the way to go.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I think that cpu is top end that my motherboard can contain :( just good cooling system and massive overclocking i think (but is it necesary?)

Just now, OSKARASPAJ1 said:

I think that cpu is top end that my motherboard can contain :( just good cooling system and massive overclocking i think (but is it necesary?)

don't spend money on cooling an old CPU, most games will take better advantage of a newer card than a newer CPU. Replacing your GPU is your best bet for performance.

Hail Sithis!

well I'm thinking buyng later watercooling system that i'll use for my next pc. Maby if sockets maching will change in future i'll have to buy just heatsink tip for tubing.

10 minutes ago, OSKARASPAJ1 said:

well I'm thinking buyng later watercooling system that i'll use for my next pc. Maby if sockets maching will change in future i'll have to buy just heatsink tip for tubing.

socket 1156 has the same mounting as the new sockets from intel so there shouldn't be an issue there but watercooling your CPU won't help with the bottleneck unless you are overclocking.

Do what you do player but I would just spend the money on a nice GPU and do a completely new rig in 2 years.

Hail Sithis!

20 minutes ago, CoffeeandBagels said:

So how do you avoid bottlenecking in this situation? Replace cpu?

In this case he has the highest CPU available for that socket so he would have to replace his board and CPU to get a CPU upgrade.

He's looking for the cheapest option so that isn't really in the budget I suppose.

Hail Sithis!

Just now, beebskadoo said:

I would just spend the money on a nice GPU and do a completely new rig in 2 years.

I'm thinking same :) Just some usable parts from older rig like PSU or cooling system would do in new one.

2 minutes ago, OSKARASPAJ1 said:

I'm thinking same :) Just some usable parts from older rig like PSU or cooling system would do in new one.

Yeah if everything is still usable and will work with the new system than I don't see an issue.

Hail Sithis!

37 minutes ago, OSKARASPAJ1 said:

My pc is:

Intel i7 860 (LGA 1156)

maybe you can get a 750ti? 1 8gb stick should be more than enough and a western digital blue caviar 1tb hdd. the 750ti runs without external power so it runs off the motherboard

6 minutes ago, OSKARASPAJ1 said:

750 ti? what's that?

An old card from Nvidia that's much slower and costs a little bit less.

I don't recommend that but it's your money :)

Hail Sithis!