switch/server

jordan_gaming385
4 minutes ago, jordan_gaming385 said:

what type of switch do i need for my server

Just get a typical RJ45 switch off of ebay. they cost like 50 dollars to 800 plus dollars

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Depends on a lot of stuff we need details, how many devices will be plugged into this switch

Just now, TechFnatic said:

Depends on a lot of stuff we need details, how many devices will be plugged into this switch

a few computers and and the server of course

23 minutes ago, jordan_gaming385 said:

a few computers and and the server of course

What speed do you want and what is your budget?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

You have to take these thing into consideration:

- how many ports

- do you want a managed switch for as example link aggregation, vlan stuff)

We use a HP 1410-24G-R not too expensive and I haven't got any problems with it (it's an unmanaged switch)

well i want a quad rj45 network card. i will be running a few computers and a few servers running of this same network.

8 hours ago, jordan_gaming385 said:

well i want a quad rj45 network card. i will be running a few computers and a few servers running of this same network.

Do you mean a 4 port switch or really 4 ports in your server so you want to use link aggregation?

Then you have to take a managed switch I can search one if you want to. But how any ports?

yes for link aggregation but one with more than 4ports i am talking about a 16 or more porrt switch

2 minutes ago, jordan_gaming385 said:

yes for link aggregation but one with more than 4ports i am talking about a 16 or more porrt switch

8/16 or 24? :)

10 hours ago, Principis said:

I looked on Amazon.com (I'm from Europese) and those HP switches are expensive :/ so maybe The Ubiquiti edgeswitch lite?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012GUVIY8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1458148199&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ubiquiti+edgeswitch+lite

Keep in mind the 'lite' version has half the backplane throughput, and don't have POE. That being said, 26gbps\24ports mean you get ~1gbps on each port at full load.

The HP (http://www.amazon.com/HP-24-Port-Unmanaged-JG708A-ABA/dp/B00HEK9PFU) is cheaper, but also Unmanaged, and doesn't support LACP, so it's out, they do have some fairly cheap L2/3 Switches that support it though.

On the cheap end you can get a "smart" switch from Dlink or other brands. Smart means it has a web ui for at least minimum management. I haven't seen any smart switches that couldn't do link aggregation although you may want to check the specs to be sure.

Above smart switches are managed switches. A managed switch adds CLI access via telnet and/or SSH, as well as higher end features that you aren't going to need. Almost every brand that makes switches has some of these as they are the standard for large business and similar networks. HP is a big name in this market because they make good hardware, but they aren't the only ones by a long shot.

In between the low end smart switches and the managed switches that cost an arm and a leg are devices like the Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch and Mikrotik's CRS line. The edgeswitch lite would be fine for you, stay away from the Mikrotik CRS line unless you really really want to learn it. Even for Mikrotik RouterOS devotees, the CRS line is an odd duck to set up and manage.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

If you'd take a used switch, plenty of used Cisco hardware on ebay (ex. 3750G-24TS) that have been pulled out of datacenters. These will easily outclass any low end 'smart' or 'managed' consumer switch that you can get, and for around the same price. You won't get a warranty though, or support from Cisco if the thing dies, and likely it will have A LOT of hours of run-time on it already, but I've used these for years both in the datacenter and at home and they run forever.

6 minutes ago, kevink817 said:

If you'd take a used switch, plenty of used Cisco hardware on ebay (ex. 3750G-24TS) that have been pulled out of datacenters. These will easily outclass any low end 'smart' or 'managed' consumer switch that you can get, and for around the same price. You won't get a warranty though, or support from Cisco if the thing dies, and likely it will have A LOT of hours of run-time on it already, but I've used these for years both in the datacenter and at home and they run forever.

Another downside with that is that those switches are loud and power hungry. Also I've never seen a managed consumer switch, every managed switch I've seen is small business oriented at the very least.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I finally found what I was looking for sorry :( I looked on the wrong site...

Here is the cheapest HP managed switch (it doesn't support a big amount of vlan's that is the only downside) it's silent (no fans) and lifetime warranty!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PY0EFL6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1458250567&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=hp+1620-24g&dpPl=1&dpID=311u1KXS2TL&ref=plSrch