What should I do now???

So I upgraded my server and pc to 10 gigabit. No switch, as switches are too expensive, and I dont need one. So basically, I have a SAN. My server is a Poweredge r220 with 8GB ddr3 ecc, an e3-1231v3, and 2 crucial ssds in raid0. The server uses windows server 2012, and I have shared the c drive. I have already moved my videos library and game library to the server, but I want more! What should I do with this super fast san that I have created? I wanna push the limits!

My native language is C++

More GiGa hertz! and maybe download more RAM?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Get two disk arrays, load up something with ZFS, enable compression, and use ZFS send to get even faster speeds from the compression? Just an idea, only weird people like me find that fun.

But im using windows, and I have already bought a license. So no linux rn.

12 minutes ago, Kyle Manning said:

But im using windows, and I have already bought a license. So no linux rn.

You might be able to play around with ReFS? I've never touched it though.

1 hour ago, F4S4K4N said:

You might be able to play around with ReFS? I've never touched it though.

Ignore ReFS unless it's Server 2016.

Save up a bit and upgrade the RAM. Install Hyper-V and create a VM for a Domain Controller and another for Windows Deployment Services (WDS) + File Server. Save up A LOT and fill the PCI-E slot with an SSD.

Take the time to learn WDS and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit then make a task sequence that backups up your data and profile from your desktop and re-images it with working drives and puts the data back. Can test this with another VM running desktop OS.

Having enough RAM to create a decent amount of VMs is a great way to self learn and get hands on with things you otherwise can't or difficult since the only place you have it is live in production.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Save up a bit and upgrade the RAM. Install Hyper-V and create a VM for a Domain Controller and another for Windows Deployment Services (WDS) + File Server. Save up A LOT and fill the PCI-E slot with an SSD.

Take the time to learn WDS and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit then make a task sequence that backups up your data and profile from your desktop and re-images it with working drives and puts the data back. Can test this with another VM running desktop OS.

Having enough RAM to create a decent amount of VMs is a great way to self learn and get hands on with things you otherwise can't or difficult since the only place you have it is live in production.

The problem is that I have already done that! I have vms running websites, the single pcie slot is taken up by the 10gb sfp+ adapter. I already have wds and windows server backup running. The networks I manage are mostly lunix, so playing around with domain controllers is unnecessary. I started up a gmod server, but i know it will get old fast. That is why im in need of somethung to do.

1 minute ago, Kyle Manning said:

The problem is that I have already done that! I have vms running websites, the single pcie slot is taken up by the 10gb sfp+ adapter. I already have wds and windows server backup running. The networks I manage are mostly lunix, so playing around with domain controllers is unnecessary. I started up a gmod server, but i know it will get old fast. That is why im in need of somethung to do.

Well then I can't think of much else :P. Not sure what you are interested in. Could look at puppet, chef, foreman, jenkins if your not already using these. Not really all that exciting for home use.

A server that 'acquires' TV shows and trans-codes them for viewing?

Honestly can't think of much since I'm so Windows focused, curse you Microsoft!

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well then I can't think of much else :P. Not sure what you are interested in. Could look at puppet, chef, foreman, jenkins if your not already using these. Not really all that exciting for home use.

A server that 'acquires' TV shows and trans-codes them for viewing?

Honestly can't think of much since I'm so Windows focused, curse you Microsoft!

Lol. My current upload isnt good enough, but at least Irvine is getting google fiber! Then I will be able to do true testing!