thermal compound

hello my name is maarten, i live in Belgium and have a question about thermal compount.

i had a pc that didn't perform well like it would take about about 2min. to just open word 2012 with taskman. setting it as most inportant task ( total noob sorry )

the rig i'm talking about is a TOSHIBA SATELLITE L670-1DG with a Intel(R) Core i5 cpu M460 @2.53GHz and a AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series and a 500gb Hdd with Win.7 on it

so while it totaly became useless (it crashed every 20min.) i thought it might have bin from the dust so i desided to disassemble it to take out the dust (at the time not nowing wat i was doing i looked up a totorial on YouTube of how to do so and ( i can hear you cry now ) took my vacuum cleaner and got rid of all the dust. i also took of my coolingg fan to take the dust of and thats when i saw thermal compount for the first time not knowing wat it was i just putted the fan back on it again and started to assemble the pc again but it didn't post no more so a year go's by and with still being in school i couldn't do my homework on just a iPad no more so i bought a new pc but not doing befor knowing wat i would by and thats when i found linustechtips... and started to hear and lurn so much that i started noticing wat kind of animal i have bin to my old Toshiba.

now being smarter then before i thought hey why don't you open it up once more it might be the hardrive that wasnt connected in the right way and geas what ... it posted but again realy slowly. but i got an idee of installing win.10 on it and making it a new pc agin so i did the full proses took me 5/6 hours not even joking ... it kept crashing before i got to the installing part wen finally done and blabla bla. i got win.10 on it now you know the full story...

my 1st question is is it bad to still have the old thermalpast between the cpu and the cooling fan ?

and what do you guys thing is the best thing i could do next with it ? (not expensive thing for it is just a lurning project now)

i realy appreciate your time :D

Thanks in advance

and i'm sorry for the terrible spelling

No problem on your speller. If we knew how to spell things would new words become real? No!

So on your topic, Luke did a video in "The Workshop" regarding this. You can order a 5 dollar tube of thermal compound and reapply. Having too much or too little thermal compound but having it already pre-spread as the manufacturer does it should be find. Try to swap it out if you can and just reapply using an alcohol pad but you should be fine and it won't blow up like a swegway.

i have tested it at full load downloading installing and rendering a vid al at the same time and when i checked with linuses temp checking softwear it's max temp got at 75° but sins the first time it crashed on overheating while playing LOL i got scared of my temp. even on my new pc now pre build i'm scared i coock it while gaming :S

-and thanks for the reply this fast ^^

26 minutes ago, Vezzeract said:

No problem on your speller. If we knew how to spell things would new words become real? No!

So on your topic, Luke did a video in "The Workshop" regarding this. You can order a 5 dollar tube of thermal compound and reapply. Having too much or too little thermal compound but having it already pre-spread as the manufacturer does it should be find. Try to swap it out if you can and just reapply using an alcohol pad but you should be fine and it won't blow up like a swegway.

i have tested it at full load downloading installing and rendering a vid al at the same time and when i checked with linuses temp checking softwear it's max temp got at 75° but sins the first time it crashed on overheating while playing LOL i got scared of my temp. even on my new pc now pre build i'm scared i coock it while gaming :S

16 hours ago, maarten heynderickx said:

The computer is probably running hot for a couple reasons.

1. The thermal compound used is too much and when the system was upgraded the compound is in one place instead of distributed.

2. There may actually be too little compound under the cooler.

3. Your cooler is doing nothing and may be the problem.

I recommend to try to take off the cooler from atop of the CPU and check how much thermal compound is on the CPU. You can take an alcohol pad to wipe the existing compound off and buy a 5 dollar tube off of amazon to reapply. Once again, crashing when playing a light game is not something that should happen as League does not throttle the computer much and it shouldn't.

On ‎14‎-‎3‎-‎2016 at 2:37 PM, Vezzeract said:

The computer is probably running hot for a couple reasons.

1. The thermal compound used is too much and when the system was upgraded the compound is in one place instead of distributed.

2. There may actually be too little compound under the cooler.

3. Your cooler is doing nothing and may be the problem.

I recommend to try to take off the cooler from atop of the CPU and check how much thermal compound is on the CPU. You can take an alcohol pad to wipe the existing compound off and buy a 5 dollar tube off of amazon to reapply. Once again, crashing when playing a light game is not something that should happen as League does not throttle the computer much and it shouldn't.

it is a upgraded factory laptop so i think the shop where i bought it didn't upgrade the cooling part of the laptop and a laptop isn't the best cooling pc. it alsoo crashed on LOL before i repaired it the problems only came after the crash

also do you know something i could use it for now ? i don't realy need 2 pc's :D