I NEED AN ANSWER FOR FREENAS

Hey guys.  I need a final answer for FreeNAS.  important data will be stored on here that I really don't want to lose (home videos, valuable pics etc) which is why I will definitely be going with ECC ram. I have about 5TB of hard drive space to put stuff on. so, Which the better option?

1) g3220 Pentium, h87 ASRock mobo, 24GB micron ddr3 ECC ram, $140 in total

OR

2)  2x x5260 Xeons, Supermicro X7DCL-3 dual socket mobo, 16GB Kingston ddr2 ECC ram, $70 in total

Thanks a lot for all the help because i really need help deciding biggrin.png

Well, build 1 doesn't fully support ECC. If the RAM is un-registered/un-buffered, it may work, but ECC features will not. You'd need a different board. 

Build 2 will work fully with registered ECC, so it would be the one I would be temped to go for. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Well, build 1 doesn't fully support ECC. If the RAM is un-registered/un-buffered, it may work, but ECC features will not. You'd need a different board. 

Build 2 will work fully with registered ECC, so it would be the one I would be temped to go for. 

its way cheaper too.  will the older hardware work ok?

1 minute ago, nickgibboni1 said:

its way cheaper too.  will the older hardware work ok?

It'll work (provided the components aren't damaged). Have you made sure the RAM on build 2 is registered/buffered? The board won't work with unregistered/un-buffered RAM. 

FreeNAS itself doesn't use much processing power. It can be a bit of a RAM hog with ZFS and plugins/apps running in jails, though. Apps like Plex can use a fair bit of processing power when transcoding, but it really depends on what you're planning on doing with it. 

no plex   storing movies and stuff on there and just accessing it through the windows CIFS share and streaming to a chromecast  pretty much  the max for me i would say  the ram is registered --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingston-16GB-Kit-4x4GB-DDR2-667MHz-PC2-5300-Registered-ECC-KTH-XW9400K2-8G-/162002453363?hash=item25b8194373:g:09cAAOSwu1VW4MyY