Will one Radiator be enough?

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

since you are planning on dumping major amounts of voltage, then run what 'cha got, but consider an additional 240 as you'll prolly end up jacking the fan speeds up to contend with the rise in temperatures on the GPU.

my general is a 240 for CPU (high voltage OC) and 120 per device afterwards (nominal GPU OC) or a 2nd 240 for 1.3v or higher on GPU. the extra voltage is a precursor to warmer temperatures.

Hi guys,

I am currently finishing my build, and will be buying an EK water block for my MSI 980Ti Gaming 6g. Right now I have an XSPC kit cooling my CPU and consists of a Raystorm for my CPU (Overclocked to 4.7GHz i5 6600k - 1.37V), RX360 Radiator (56mm thick, 13fpi) with 3 XSPC fans on push, and a Pump res combo (D5 in a dual bay res -- somehow i got to mount it on my h440 case).

Question is, do I really need an extra 240mm radiator on top? provided that only 30mm rads will fin in my case. I'd only want to buy one if it is necessary, as I have put more money on this build more than what i have anticipated. I'm not really sensitive to noise, but I absolutely do not want a jet engine beside me while I sleep, as I do folding at home when the computer idles. As for PC usage, some heavy gaming and folding at home is done on this rig.

Thank you!

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

for a nominal overclock, the 360 will be fine. how is the fan noise now?

Thank you for replying so quickly!

Things are overclocked to the max, and I plan to put a watercooling custom BIOS on my card to hit that 1500MHz spot. Right now, the fans are set with the silent setting in my BIOS, so its running about 1000 RPM for each fan for the radiator. Other case fans include 2 120mm fan at max and 140 mm fan at max, though nothing is impeding their airflow so they run a bit more smoothly.  But with that said, I've been seeing a general rule that 120mm rad space per component should be enough, but am really confused whether or not this also applies to my overclocking scenario.

since you are planning on dumping major amounts of voltage, then run what 'cha got, but consider an additional 240 as you'll prolly end up jacking the fan speeds up to contend with the rise in temperatures on the GPU.

my general is a 240 for CPU (high voltage OC) and 120 per device afterwards (nominal GPU OC) or a 2nd 240 for 1.3v or higher on GPU. the extra voltage is a precursor to warmer temperatures.

Okay, thank you so much for the info.I probably will end up buying another 240mm radiator to keep up with the added voltage.

Thanks a ton!