[VB.NET] Remote inventory server?

Hey guys! I was hoping someone might be able to give me a hand.

A friend of my father's has a small business and he wants a way to manage the inventory. I've developed an application on VB.Net that accesses a local XML database (which, I know, is probably not the best solution performance-wise), and I'm in the process of optimising it. During this process, the client said he would like to access the inventory remotely, so as to be able to sell off-site, perhaps during business trips.

Anyway, bearing in mind that the application hasn't been deployed yet, therefore no real data has been written to the database: do you think it'd be a good idea, if at all possible, to build a server and have it store the DB there? Maybe using SQL?

I am definitely not a pro, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

P.S., I've tried using a MS Access DB on my app, thinking I would gain performance, but I simply couldn't get it to work.

It sounds like you're going to want to use a database like Sql Server or another popular option (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc). It can go up on a server and your application can connect to it remotely or get data access through another service (like a web service). Also in case it becomes necessary, SQLite is a nice option for when you need a local database for your app.

If you're new to this stuff you'll want to learn a bit about SQL and database design. You can use the basic ADO.NET library for working with databases in .NET or you can go with a micro/full ORM like Dapper, Entity Framework, etc.

1 hour ago, madknight3 said:

It sounds like you're going to want to use a database like Sql Server or another popular option (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc). It can go up on a server and your application can connect to it remotely or get data access through another service (like a web service).

You can use the basic ADO.NET library for working with databases in .NET or you can go with a micro/full ORM like Dapper, Entity Framework, etc.

Yes, I was thinking about SQL. I just don't really know how to set it up, although I'm willing to learn.

Do you know if the process of linking the SQL DB to my application is the same as having it read data from an xml file? I mean, create a DataSet, etc., or are there any other steps involved? Also, does the server need to be up and running prior to me linking the DB to the app?

34 minutes ago, naza98m said:

Yes, I was thinking about SQL. I just don't really know how to set it up, although I'm willing to learn.

Do you know if the process of linking the SQL DB to my application is the same as having it read data from an xml file? I mean, create a DataSet, etc., or are there any other steps involved?

The specifics will differ based on what you're using. For example, using ADO.NET will be different from using Entity Framework.

The only remote database I've worked with in .NET is SQL Server. Since it's also a Microsoft product, it's supported very well in .NET and Azure. You can get it here. The express edition is free, and may be suitable for your needs, but keep in mind that the other versions will cost money if you end up needing them. I believe MySQL and PostgreSQL are both free but I don't have any experience with them so i can't say what it's like to use them vs SQL Server in .NET.

Pluralsight is a solid option for video courses on topics in .NET so you can use that to help you learn about this stuff. They have courses on ADO.NET, Entity Framework, and more. You can get a free subscription through the Visual Studio Dev Essentials program, which is free. If you already have a Visual Studio account you can just log in and grab the benefits. I believe they are still giving away free 6 month subscriptions to Pluralsight but eventually they say it will be reduced to a free 3 month subscription. Either way it's still nice. And as usual, there is plenty of information out there to be found with Google as well.

19 minutes ago, naza98m said:

Also, does the server need to be up and running prior to me linking the DB to the app?

You can also run the databases locally so you don't need a server to get started.

1 hour ago, madknight3 said:

The specifics will differ based on what you're using. For example, using ADO.NET will be different from using Entity Framework.

The only remote database I've worked with in .NET is SQL Server. Since it's also a Microsoft product, it's supported very well in .NET and Azure. You can get it here. The express edition is free, and may be suitable for your needs, but keep in mind that the other versions will cost money if you end up needing them. I believe MySQL and PostgreSQL are both free but I don't have any experience with them so i can't say what it's like to use them vs SQL Server in .NET.

Pluralsight is a solid option for video courses on topics in .NET so you can use that to help you learn about this stuff. They have courses on ADO.NET, Entity Framework, and more. You can get a free subscription through the Visual Studio Dev Essentials program, which is free. If you already have a Visual Studio account you can just log in and grab the benefits. I believe they are still giving away free 6 month subscriptions to Pluralsight but eventually they say it will be reduced to a free 3 month subscription. Either way it's still nice. And as usual, there is plenty of information out there to be found with Google as well.

You can also run the databases locally so you don't need a server to get started.

That's awesome man! I'll look into it. Thanks for the patience!