990FXA-UD3 VDroop & Throttling

This board won't stop Vdrooping :( When it is set at 1.56v it literally vdroops down to 1.52v... If this wasn't bad enough, it throttles all the time and even at 4.8GHz it will drop to 1.4GHz all of the time :| Any ideas or is it a bad board?

- Set LLC to Medium: still vdroop

- Set LLC to Extreme: Absolutely insane, will not use it

- HPC has been turned on/off, APM is off, most of the green stuff is on

Thanks! 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Dropping to 1.4ghz is thermal throttling, if you have cool n quiet disabled. You should have HPC mode enabled as it raises the thermal limit of the socket, to take heat away from the socket you can put a fan behind the socket like so:

Spoiler

post-122562-0-23368000-1445205417_thumb.

You need to disable all the green stuff to find your voltage limits and thermal limits, once you've learned how your board and chip acts you can turn them back on after confirming stability. 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Just now, Benji_w said:

Dropping to 1.4ghz is thermal throttling, if you have cool n quiet disabled. You should have HPC mode enabled as it raises the thermal limit of the socket, to take heat away from the socket you can put a fan behind the socket like so:

Hide contents

You need to disable all the green stuff to find your voltage limits and thermal limits, once you've learned how your board and chip acts you can turn them back on after confirming stability. 

kk, what's max volts I should go for again? You do 1.57v right? 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Just now, Octavialicious said:

kk, what's max volts I should go for again? You do 1.57v right? 

I do 1.6v for 5ghz, I suggest upgrading your board if you want to hit the golden 5 or higher, I would aim for 4.6ghz on the UD3 then once you're stable try for 4.7ghz but the voltage you'll need for 4.8+ will start to get hotter and hotter. work your way up in small increments from stock or you'll rip your hair out trying to figure out what it going on. 

The mantra for FX overclocking 

If you can cool it, you can clock it!

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

5 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

I do 1.6v for 5ghz, I suggest upgrading your board if you want to hit the golden 5 or higher, I would aim for 4.6ghz on the UD3 then once you're stable try for 4.7ghz but the voltage you'll need for 4.8+ will start to get hotter and hotter. work your way up in small increments from stock or you'll rip your hair out trying to figure out what it going on. 

The mantra for FX overclocking 

It's a good chip and I have the custom loop, so I might as well spend a bit more to get the golden 5 (Was running IBT and again it was getting 3's and passing at 1.53v after vdroop, but then the VRM's made it throttle again) Not to mention even my 970 Gaming was doing 2133 on the RAM no tweaking what so ever so meh

ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Killer, 990FXA-UD5 R5 (probs not much better), Gigabyte 990FX Gaming, MSI 990FXA Gaming, are any of these good? They're all like $20 more and in stock at my local microcenter :)

There is also the Pro R2 from Asus, but it's blue... I can handle Pink + Black and a little red, but the blue is horrendous :c 

1 minute ago, Octavialicious said:

It's a good chip and I have the custom loop, so I might as well spend a bit more to get the golden 5 (Was running IBT and again it was getting 3's and passing at 1.53v after vdroop, but then the VRM's made it throttle again) Not to mention even my 970 Gaming was doing 2133 on the RAM no tweaking what so ever so meh

ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Killer, 990FXA-UD5 R5 (probs not much better), Gigabyte 990FX Gaming, MSI 990FXA Gaming, are any of these good? They're all like $20 more and in stock at my local microcenter :)

There is also the Pro R2 from Asus, but it's blue... I can handle Pink + Black and a little red, but the blue is horrendous :c 

I only recommend the Sabertooth or the ROG boards because they can handle the overclocking for 5ghz, a UD5 killed itself and my original 8350 with a mild overclock so I don't trust them, MSI and ASS Rock are big no noes. The reason you're passing IBT is because your CPU is throttling down to stability. If you could upload a screenshot of your IBT so I can see the results?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Just now, Benji_w said:

I only recommend the Sabertooth or the ROG boards because they can handle the overclocking for 5ghz, a UD5 killed itself and my original 8350 with a mild overclock so I don't trust them, MSI and ASS Rock are big no noes. The reason you're passing IBT is because your CPU is throttling down to stability. If you could upload a screenshot of your IBT so I can see the results?

I'll try in a bit, but it passed like 3 no throttling but then it started throttling 

For the sabertooth, if you used 2000 F automotive spray paint for the brown heatsinks do you think it would affect cooling performance? 

3 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

I'll try in a bit, but it passed like 3 no throttling but then it started throttling 

For the sabertooth, if you used 2000 F automotive spray paint for the brown heatsinks do you think it would affect cooling performance? 

Probably but I have mine watercooled so I don't have to have fans over them to keep the VRM in check. You're running a custom loop, just slap some blocks on them.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Just now, Benji_w said:

Probably but I have mine watercooled so I don't have to have fans over them to keep the VRM in check. You're running a custom loop, just slap some blocks on them.

They make them? Sweet! How much heat does it add to the loop?

They make them? Sweet! How much heat does it add to the loop?

Dunno never bothered to check, just enjoyed the silence, and no you can use universal blocks.

Full thread on it here.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

2 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

Dunno never bothered to check, just enjoyed the silence, and no you can use universal blocks.

Full thread on it here.

With the one exhaust do you think it will thermal throttle? I'd love to put them in the loop but I'd spend all of my cash to get the Sabertooth itself (and tbh I don't mind the heatsinks too much looking at them, I thought they were a stronger brown) 

With the one exhaust do you think it will thermal throttle? I'd love to put them in the loop but I'd spend all of my cash to get the Sabertooth itself (and tbh I don't mind the heatsinks too much looking at them, I thought they were a stronger brown) 

You can get them second hand now for a lot less, I watched a sabertooth and an 8350 sell on ebay for £180 delivered.

Painting the heatsinks would be a mistake in my opinion.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Just now, Benji_w said:

You can get them second hand now for a lot less, I watched a sabertooth and an 8350 sell on ebay for £180 delivered.

Painting the heatsinks would be a mistake in my opinion.

yeah, I'll just leave them until I can afford the blocks/extra fittings

On an unrelated note, perf pc accidentally sent me the full cover block for my 980Ti :D Sooo much prettier and no ugly silver colour showing 

still need a backplate, but I'll probs just try ghettoing the stock one on there (just have to make sure I don't short anything) 

2 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

yeah, I'll just leave them until I can afford the blocks/extra fittings

On an unrelated note, perf pc accidentally sent me the full cover block for my 980Ti :D Sooo much prettier and no ugly silver colour showing 

still need a backplate, but I'll probs just try ghettoing the stock one on there (just have to make sure I don't short anything) 

Get a baseline overclock on your current setup, recommend that you do 10 runs of IBT AVX on very high to confirm you're stable.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Just now, Benji_w said:

Get a baseline overclock on your current setup, recommend that you do 10 runs of IBT AVX on very high to confirm you're stable.

Alright, HPC on, APM off, and Medium LLC

Atm seems like it's going to be 4.7GHz, as again it was holding on to 4.8 for sometime before throttling