Old windows, new PC

AlexAlcala

So i sold my old computer to an uncle but i keept the HDD to see if there were some photos, music or videos i want to keep on the new pc, but i want to log into that HDD windows, when i try it the windows logo appears but then a blue screen of dead appears and the PC reboots for an endless loop.

Is there a way to access that windows without the MOBO where it was installed?

try booting from a working windows drive or linux usb and access it as a secondary hdd. the windows wont work but the files will probably be there

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

If it's just the data you want, your best bet would be to boot to some other OS like a linux on an USB drive or something and use the drive as a secondary. But if you need the OS itself, it's going to be super tricky. You should have at least purged the old drivers and registry beforehand. Now you really only have the safe mode to work with. Maybe if you have the disk, a repair installation. If you do get in, remove all the drivers for all the hardware, and run CHKDSK/F. You might get lucky. I personally don't believe you will. 99% of the cases, it would have worked already if it was ever going to. 

Just Format system of C drive and try install boot operating system again in your pc..

- AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor

- Asus Prime A320M-K ATX motherboard

- Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC Edition

- Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Ram

- Corsair VS 550 power supply

- Kingston A400 240GB SSD

- 1TB WD BLUE HDD Hard Disk & Samsung 320GB HDD(7200RPM)

- CPU COOLER: Stock Cooler(AMD)

8 minutes ago, DrM said:

try booting from a working windows drive or linux usb and access it as a secondary hdd. the windows wont work but the files will probably be there

8 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

If it's just the data you want, your best bet would be to boot to some other OS like a linux on an USB drive or something and use the drive as a secondary. But if you need the OS itself, it's going to be super tricky. You should have at least purged the old drivers and registry beforehand. Now you really only have the safe mode to work with. Maybe if you have the disk, a repair installation. If you do get in, remove all the drivers for all the hardware, and run CHKDSK/F. You might get lucky. I personally don't believe you will. 99% of the cases, it would have worked already if it was ever going to. 

5 minutes ago, Niraj The Great said:

Just Format system of C drive and try install boot operating system again in your pc..

thank you for your suggestions.

Yeah, i already plug it like an external drive and i think i got all the files i need, but its to much effort just to make sure. I was hoping there were an easy way.

2 minutes ago, AlexAlcala said:

thank you for your suggestions.

Yeah, i already plug it like an external drive and i think i got all the files i need, but its to much effort just to make sure. I was hoping there were an easy way.

Great..But also do it format C drive,because whichever saved virus file,temp,etc..

- AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor

- Asus Prime A320M-K ATX motherboard

- Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC Edition

- Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Ram

- Corsair VS 550 power supply

- Kingston A400 240GB SSD

- 1TB WD BLUE HDD Hard Disk & Samsung 320GB HDD(7200RPM)

- CPU COOLER: Stock Cooler(AMD)