Slow Network Share

Nymmie

Trying to set up a network share on my windows machine but I am however getting some EXTREEMLY slow results. Just a measly 4MB/sec. Would be faster putting stuff on a flash drive and walking it over which is just not fun when I am moving 200gb with an 8gb flash drive.

CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.6Ghtz MB: Asus z87-Deluxe RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1866mhtz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GBx2 PSU: Corsair HX1000 GPU: ASUS GTX 780 DCU2 Case: Define R4

LTC: LeBdcWLcreZREjTRHJsi3vN4oRDVvqRNXf

There are a lot of factors involved.

Are you using wired or wireless?

What speed is your connection (and are you sure all devices in between are connected at that speed)?

How fast is the media the files are stored on (i.e. SATA, SAS, PCI, USB, etc...)?

Is it 200GB worth of a few big files or 200GB worth of small files?

-KuJoe

To computer I'm grabbing from is wireless n connection at 80-85% signal strength, sata2 HDD 7200rpm drive, file sizes range from 250mb to 8gb e6600 CPU.

CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.6Ghtz MB: Asus z87-Deluxe RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1866mhtz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GBx2 PSU: Corsair HX1000 GPU: ASUS GTX 780 DCU2 Case: Define R4

4MB/sec is about 32mbits. Wireless N is slow, I havent seen faster than 5MBs on wireless N, you best bet is to either use a ethernet connection or as you said a flash drive. an Ethernet connection will give you either 100mbit or 1gigabit/sec (10MBs to 100MBs). Either that or upgrade to wireless AC or AD

So my choke is wireless n huh?

15 hours ago, Nymmie said:

So my choke is wireless n huh?

Yeah, wireless N is pretty slow. One thing you can do is check your link speed, just so you can see. Open up the "Network and Sharing Center) and then on the right hand side you will see your network connection (refer to image below) then you can see your link speed (see 2nd attached image) dived this number by "8" and this is the absolute maximum your computer will send/receive files (in MB/sec) also worth noting, this is your link speed not your data transfer speed, so you will never hit this number, but you can get fairly close. On my laptop my link speed is about 800Mbit (or 80MB/sec) however my max copy speed is only 40MB/sec (the reason mine could be half is we have about a dozen devices on wifi) this video might be of some help 

Also one more thing to take into consideration (sorry for the wall of text) here are some "MAX" "theoretical" link speeds for various things

USB 2.0 = 480mbit

USB 3.0 = 5gigabit

USB 3.1 = 10gigabit

(note: Usb flash storage is unlikely to ever to hit the full usb 3 and 3.1 speed any time soon)

Standard Ethernet = 100mbit or 1 gigabit (Depends on computer and router and cables)

High End Ethernet = 10gigabit (Linus has a video on this)

Wireless G = 54mbit

Wireless N = 300mbit

Wireless AC = 1.3gigabit

Wireless AD = 7gigabit

(note this are local transfer speeds and are completely different from internet speeds)

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG