Is DP 1.2 same as DP 1.2a ?

xgn

Hello. Looking at monitors. Im use to DVI which dosent cut it in today standards. so on wiki this is what i found on the subject.

DisplayPort version 1.2 was approved on 22 December 2009. The most significant improvement of the new version is the doubling of the effective bandwidth to 17.28 Gbit/s in High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) mode, which allows increased resolutions, higher refresh rates, and greater color depth. Other improvements include multiple independent video streams (daisy-chain connection with multiple monitors) called Multi-Stream Transport, facilities for stereoscopic 3D, increased AUX channel bandwidth (from 1 Mbit/s to 720 Mbit/s), more color spaces including xvYCC, scRGB and Adobe RGB 1998, and Global Time Code (GTC) for sub 1 µs audio/video synchronisation. Also Apple Inc.'s Mini DisplayPort connector, which is much smaller and designed for laptop computers and other small devices, is compatible with the new standard.[2][12][13][14]

DisplayPort version 1.2a may optionally include VESA's Adaptive Sync.[15]AMD's FreeSync utilizes the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync feature for operation. FreeSync was first demonstrated at CES 2014 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop by making use of the Panel-Self-Refresh (PSR) feature from the Embedded DisplayPort standard,[16] and after a proposal from AMD, VESA later adapted the Panel-Self-Refresh feature for use in standalone displays and added it as an optional feature of the main DisplayPort standard under the name "Adaptive-Sync" in version 1.2a.[17] As it is an optional feature, support for Adaptive-Sync is not required for a display to be DisplayPort 1.2a-compliant.

So from what i can tell it is the same 1.2 and 1.2a. 

From wikipedia that you stated yourself:

DisplayPort version 1.2 was approved on 22 December 2009. The most significant improvement of the new version is the doubling of the effective bandwidth to 17.28 Gbit/s in High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) mode, which allows increased resolutions, higher refresh rates, and greater color depth. Other improvements include multiple independent video streams (daisy-chain connection with multiple monitors) called Multi-Stream Transport, facilities for stereoscopic 3D, increased AUX channel bandwidth (from 1 Mbit/s to 720 Mbit/s), more color spaces including xvYCC, scRGB and Adobe RGB 1998, and Global Time Code (GTC) for sub 1 µs audio/video synchronisation. Also Apple Inc.'s Mini DisplayPort connector, which is much smaller and designed for laptop computers and other small devices, is compatible with the new standard.[2][12][13][14]

DisplayPort version 1.2a may optionally include VESA's Adaptive Sync.[15] AMD's FreeSync utilizes the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync feature for operation. FreeSync was first demonstrated at CES 2014 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop by making use of the Panel-Self-Refresh (PSR) feature from the Embedded DisplayPort standard,[16] and after a proposal from AMD, VESA later adapted the Panel-Self-Refresh feature for use in standalone displays and added it as an optional feature of the main DisplayPort standard under the name "Adaptive-Sync" in version 1.2a.[17] As it is an optional feature, support for Adaptive-Sync is not required for a display to be DisplayPort 1.2a-compliant.

Adaptive sync support.

So if i use a monitor which require 1.2a and my video card can only use 1.2 i wont get g-sync but it will still work ?

Just now, xgn said:

So if i use a monitor which require 1.2a and my video card can only use 1.2 i wont get g-sync but it will still work ?

Still work as in still display an image at a certain refresh rate and quality? Yes. You just can't use adaptive sync, to my knowledge.

2 minutes ago, xgn said:

Also check out this thread: 

15 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Still work as in still display an image at a certain refresh rate and quality? Yes. You just can't use adaptive sync, to my knowledge.

The card i use is zotac gtx 780 amp 3gb version. I cant find out for sure if its 1.2a or not. It says 980ti is also using just 1.2 so maybe info is wrong.

Cant find any details anywhere else either.

1 hour ago, xgn said:

There are no displays that "require" DP 1.2a, displays and graphics cards can both operate at any DisplayPort revision lower than their max version. But yes DP 1.2 and 1.2a are the same if adaptive-sync is not supported. Do not sorry about compatibility.

22 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

There are no displays that "require" DP 1.2a, displays and graphics cards can both operate at any DisplayPort revision lower than their max version. But yes DP 1.2 and 1.2a are the same if adaptive-sync is not supported. Do not sorry about compatibility.

Ok one more thing do you think i get problems playing games on a QHD monitor? 3440x1440p Since i got only 3gb vram.

2 minutes ago, xgn said:

Ok one more thing do you think i get problems playing games on a QHD monitor? 3440x1440p Since i got only 3gb vram.

Really depends on the game and settings. I can max out 3GB on a 1920x1080 monitor if I'm playing something like Witcher 3 at max settings. But you can always turn settings down.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Really depends on the game and settings. I can max out 3GB on a 1920x1080 monitor if I'm playing something like Witcher 3 at max settings. But you can always turn settings down.

Well i could fix that by using 2 monitors. But i dont know where i can buy a stand where you can mount the monitor on top of you're main one.
I seen a lot of people do that. 2 monitors could be handy for a lot of stuff. It could only work if i could mount it on top the new one however.