Plex Media Server

rustikles

I've been using the free version of Plex media server for about 5 months now, and I adore everything about it.

Does anyone have experience with the premium features and more advanced customization? Specifically, the sync mechanic for the android app. I'd like to be able to set some rule such as "keep next 2 unwatched episodes of [show] synced." Is this possible?

I guess my whole point is that, am I making a good choice to spend $75 on the premium and beta features for something that I use quite often already?

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Also interested about this,

I run Plex on a Custom Hardware NAS running the Synology OS with the Plex App, Its cool as no matter where I am I have my full film library on my phone in full HD, also using the Plex app on Samsung TV...You can even login on a friends TV and watch all your films, I don't understand why its not more popular?

But as all my films are on one NAS there is no need for sync?

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Also interested about this,

I run Plex on a Custom Hardware NAS running the Synology OS with the Plex App, Its cool as no matter where I am I have my full film library on my phone in full HD, also using the Plex app on Samsung TV...You can even login on a friends TV and watch all your films, I don't understand why its not more popular?

But as all my films are on one NAS there is no need for sync?

Well, just to support the devs and because I use it so much, I went ahead and bought the lifetime membership. After 1 day of use, let me tell you.....the sync is awesome! (it does kind of temporarily kill CPU performance while rendering video though).

I wouldn't say that there's "no use" for sync. For me, it's a matter of video quality. My connection can't support the upload I would need to stream 1080p without stuttering to my android. Sync fixes that problem quite easily.

For instance:

I have an anime series that I'm going through with around 24 episodes. I set sync with a rule that says "keep highest video/audio quality downloaded of the next 3 unwatched episodes."

With that, it auto renders the requested videos on my server, uploads the specified number to my phone and deletes/replaces them with new episodes after they become marked as watched.

AWESOME  :D

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ