Corsair h100i in a corsair carbide 400q

rw38

Please be gentle with this amateur.

I'm awaiting the last few components for my first ever PC build.  I've ordered a Corsair Carbide 400q as I liked the look of it and it seemed to be what I needed.

ive just watched a review of the case (that's already on it's way) and they've said, and shown in the review that there isn't sufficient room to mount a cooler such as the h100i (already arrived) at the top, and so it would have to go at the front.

could I have any advice on this. Doing it etc, which way to mount the fans and the radiator etc.

many thanks

In all reality, radiator position doesn't really affect much, aside from aesthetics. My outlook has always been, put it where it fits. The "slightly" warmer ambient temps inside the chassis if you're putting it in the front as an intake should impact performance minimally/ if at all. As for which way to mount the fans, it depends on if you want it to exhaust or intake, most fans now-a-days come with a small diagram on the side showing which way the fins rotate and which way its pushing air. 

**Edit

Also, just make sure you have proper ventilation on the front panel if you decide to place the rad there. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

• 1 month later...
On 29/02/2016 at 8:52 PM, rw38 said:

Please be gentle with this amateur.

I'm awaiting the last few components for my first ever PC build.  I've ordered a Corsair Carbide 400q as I liked the look of it and it seemed to be what I needed.

ive just watched a review of the case (that's already on it's way) and they've said, and shown in the review that there isn't sufficient room to mount a cooler such as the h100i (already arrived) at the top, and so it would have to go at the front.

could I have any advice on this. Doing it etc, which way to mount the fans and the radiator etc.

many thanks

ive just finished building a 400Q with a H100i. I have an ASUS X99 deluxe 3.1 mobo in mine and though tight it does fit at the top just fine. I'd imagine it'll more depend on what mobo youre using rather than worrying about if the H100i fits at all (which it does fine!)

HTH