worst results when overclocking ??

WhiteWolf117

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7734568 << overclocked gtx 980 1583 mhz i7 4790k 4.8ghz 6092 score

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7734568 << overclocked gtx 980 1290 mhz i7 4790k 4.6ghz 6455 score

I´ḿ so confused 

|| CPU Intel Core i7‑4790K 4.9 Ghz || Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition || RAM corsair vengeance pro 4x8gb 2400mhz || GPU msi msi twin frozr gtx 1080 8g sli x2 || Case nzxt phantom 410 || Cooling corsair h100i ||

When I run the benchmark on by CPU built into the Intel Extreme Tuning program, I outrank many overclocked setups even though I'm at stock too :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, mechknight3 said:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7734568 << overclocked gtx 980 1583 mhz i7 4790k 4.8ghz 6092 score

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7734568 << overclocked gtx 980 1290 mhz i7 4790k 4.6ghz 6455 score

I´ḿ so confused 

Both links are to the same run of 6092.  Also did the gpu throttle during the run because of temps as that could cause the low score that you were seeing.

1 minute ago, TitanModz said:

Both links are to the same run of 6092.  Also did the gpu throttle during the run because of temps as that could cause the low score that you were seeing.

whoops http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7043495 

nope 53c was the highest temp i got 

|| CPU Intel Core i7‑4790K 4.9 Ghz || Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition || RAM corsair vengeance pro 4x8gb 2400mhz || GPU msi msi twin frozr gtx 1080 8g sli x2 || Case nzxt phantom 410 || Cooling corsair h100i ||

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

When I run the benchmark on by CPU built into the Intel Extreme Tuning program, I outrank many overclocked setups even though I'm at stock too :D

Intel Extreme Tuning and 3DMark along with other benchmarks are not always about brute MHz.  I used to bench with liquid nitrogen a lot and its about being efficient and ram speeds and timings can add or take a few hundred points away from the runs.

Just now, TitanModz said:

Intel Extreme Tuning and 3DMark along with other benchmarks are not always about brute MHz.  I used to bench with liquid nitrogen a lot and its about being efficient and ram speeds and timings can add or take a few hundred points away from the runs.

so how to fix the lower score 

looking at both runs the 4.8 ghz 4790k lkooks like something may have probably been updating in the background or running.   In the physics test on your slower clocked cpu the physics did 42.66 fps avg and on the higher overclocked cpu it did 41.54 avg fps.  Since 3Dmark score is based a lot on your physics score that is why you saw the drop.   Rest of your gpu scores looked where they should be so try and rerun it and make sure no apps are open the background.

2 minutes ago, TitanModz said:

looking at both runs the 4.8 ghz 4790k lkooks like something may have probably been updating in the background or running.   In the physics test on your slower clocked cpu the physics did 42.66 fps avg and on the higher overclocked cpu it did 41.54 avg fps.  Since 3Dmark score is based a lot on your physics score that is why you saw the drop.   Rest of your gpu scores looked where they should be so try and rerun it and make sure no apps are open the background.

but the g score was lower when I running at 1.5ghz compared to the 1.2ghz 

1 minute ago, mechknight3 said:

but the g score was lower when I running at 1.5ghz compared to the 1.2ghz 

My fault I was looking at the scores int he wrong places but I would still say something was probably open the in the background using resources.  There is a reason why when you bench competitively we run stripped down to bare essientials OS and nothing on the drive but the benchmark.  Any little resources being used can change the scores.  Try running it again still and make sure nothing is running but the OS and nothing is running in your taskbar and let me know your score with the higher clocks.

Also when I do benches force the cpu and gpu to stay at full clocks via evga precision x or msi afterburner and the cpu through the OS this allows a more clear picture of what could possibly going on as it takes out the factor of the cpu and gpu possibly going into a lower power state when it should be ramping up and causing the scores to drop prematurely while they ramp up and down.

there's something i noticed just now reading trough the results and it says in general information that the ram speed is half on the worst one

Module 1

8 192 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 2 398 MHz

Module 2

8 192 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 2 398 MHz

Module 18 192 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 1 332 MHzModule 28 192 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 1 332 MHz

EDIT: the ram speeds weren't showing up

Main build
CPU: i7 5820k  MotherBoard: Gigabyte x99 UD4  RAM: corsair ballistix 2400mhz 4x4gb  GPU: Asus GTX 970  PSU: corsair rm1000  SSD 1: Samsung 840evo 500gb  SSD 2: Samsung 850evo 500gb  HDD: Western Digital red 3tb  Case: Phanteks Enthoo pro M  CPU cooler: corsair h80i

Second build
CPU: i7 5820k  MotherBoard: Gigabyte x99 UD5 WIFI  RAM: G.skill 2666mhz 4x4gb  GPU: Nvidia GTS 450 (soon to be upgraded)  PSU: corsair HX650  SSD: Samsung 850evo 250gb  Case: Cooler Master 430 elite  CPU cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212 evo

Third build

CPU: xeon x5690  MotherBoard: Evga x58 classified 4way-sli  Ram: Patriot 1600mhz 4x3gb  GPU: Asus HD6970  PSU: fractal newton r2 1000w  SSD: crucial m500 240gb  Case: Cooler Master Haf X  CPU cooler: Mega Shadow

1 minute ago, ExozeGD said:

there's something i noticed just now reading trough the results and it says in general information that the ram speed is half on the worst one

good eye xmp may have been disabled when you overclocked it to 4.8 ghz.  Ram speed can make a difference especially that much.

1 hour ago, TitanModz said:

good eye xmp may have been disabled when you overclocked it to 4.8 ghz.  Ram speed can make a difference especially that much.

1 hour ago, TitanModz said:

My fault I was looking at the scores int he wrong places but I would still say something was probably open the in the background using resources.  There is a reason why when you bench competitively we run stripped down to bare essientials OS and nothing on the drive but the benchmark.  Any little resources being used can change the scores.  Try running it again still and make sure nothing is running but the OS and nothing is running in your taskbar and let me know your score with the higher clocks.

when I get home i'll bump up CPU clock a little, turn on xmp,kill all backgrounds tasks and run it 

1 minute ago, mechknight3 said:

when I get home i'll bump up CPU clock a little, turn on xmp,kill all backgrounds tasks and run it 

what you should do is put the cpu back to 4.6 and enable xmp and go at it with the gpu oc and then if that gets you better results then try to bump the cpu a bit more

Main build
CPU: i7 5820k  MotherBoard: Gigabyte x99 UD4  RAM: corsair ballistix 2400mhz 4x4gb  GPU: Asus GTX 970  PSU: corsair rm1000  SSD 1: Samsung 840evo 500gb  SSD 2: Samsung 850evo 500gb  HDD: Western Digital red 3tb  Case: Phanteks Enthoo pro M  CPU cooler: corsair h80i

Second build
CPU: i7 5820k  MotherBoard: Gigabyte x99 UD5 WIFI  RAM: G.skill 2666mhz 4x4gb  GPU: Nvidia GTS 450 (soon to be upgraded)  PSU: corsair HX650  SSD: Samsung 850evo 250gb  Case: Cooler Master 430 elite  CPU cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212 evo

Third build

CPU: xeon x5690  MotherBoard: Evga x58 classified 4way-sli  Ram: Patriot 1600mhz 4x3gb  GPU: Asus HD6970  PSU: fractal newton r2 1000w  SSD: crucial m500 240gb  Case: Cooler Master Haf X  CPU cooler: Mega Shadow

Just now, ExozeGD said:

what you should do is put the cpu back to 4.6 and enable xmp and go at it with the gpu oc and then if that gets you better results then try to bump the cpu a bit more

my gpu is maxed won't any fastest, keeps crashing, and my temps on gpu are 53c at most 

Just now, mechknight3 said:

my gpu is maxed won't any fastest, keeps crashing, and my temps on gpu are 53c at most 

i meant go at it with the gpu at the clock where you ran the test which was slower*

Main build

Second build

Third build

Just now, ExozeGD said:

i meant go at it with the gpu at the clock where you ran the test which was slower*

so try it at the slower 1290mhz (higher score) not the faster 1589mhz (lower score)

Just now, mechknight3 said:

so try it at the slower 1290mhz (higher score) not the faster 1589mhz (lower score)

enable xmp then try with the 1589mhz and let me know the score

Main build

Second build

Third build

So I did a few quick runs with one gpu active for Firestrike Ultra with it running at my normal cpu overclock and gpu at stock clocks.  This is my run with it allowing the cpu and gpu to downclock and upclock it self and the second is with both being forced to stay at max clocks no matter what.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7744685 4008 was my score with everything being forced to stay at max clocks.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7744581 3945 was allowing everything to downclock as the system wanted it too. 

As you can see its not a huge difference but still a good almost 65 points difference by just making the cpu and gpu not have to ramp to go into the next test and the system deciding if it need that much power or not.  Again though I would check that ram speed because that is what I could see causing your large difference in scores like ExozeGD said.

I agree with others. Check the ram speed is correct first.

Then use 4.8Ghz with a stock GPU clock.

Get your base line then OC by around 100Mhz per run. This way you can factor out the CPU and also see if you get an increase each time your bump up the GPU.

Going from stock gpu clocks to max OC with an untested CPU clock (base line) may hide problems. Such as you getting a nice score but finding out the GPU was throttling and the CPU was holding you up.

This is why you always do a benchmark with everything at stock and overclock slowly (not at a snail pace of course) while testing each stage.

It's not a race to the bottom.