nvidia graphics card "safe mode" problems

palespartan

So I have had my gtx970 gigabyte g1 gaming card for some time and decided it was time to see how far I could get it with overclocking. And have run into some issues. It seems that at the lightest sign of instability the driver crashes (which is expected) but when it recovers it seems to cap my core clock at 540mhz even when it is at 100% usage. The only way I can get it back to normal is with a full system reset. And beyond just instability it seems to do this whenever I add voltage as well. I am running the latest drivers and using windows 10. Last card I overclocked was my old gtx660 and I was running windows 8 at the time. This is a problem I've seen posted in a few different areas on the web and with many different nvidia cards with no real solutions. If anyone has a workaround it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Computer specs (if it makes a difference):

i5-4690k At 4.6ghz with 1.3v cooled with h100igtx

GTX970 G1 Gaming

MSI Z97 SLI Krait edition

240 gig ssd boot drive

1tb mass storage

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

• 2 weeks later...

update: So now I have tried using msi afterburner as well as oc guru2 just in case that made a difference with no luck. i have taken out and re seated my card a few times tried a different plug in my power supply with no luck and even worse i found out that I wasnt testing my overclocks for long enough before because if i leave heaven going for more than an hour and a half with any overlcock it will crash the driver and cause the same problem. I do understand with overclocking its a lottery but not not be able to apply anything at all and not running into thermal limits when many people claim to do a light overclock and get up to 1500mhz without issue on the same card seems a bit suspicious. Please if any of you have any insight please let me know.

also forgot to mention the psu is a corsair cx750m

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event: