Yet another 4790K and H100i temps issue

Just ran a stress test on my pc and all the cores jumped to temps in the mid 90's instantly.  The h100i is push/pull intake with fans set to full during the test.  Is this a common problem or just how its supposed to be?

welcome to the Linus tech Tips forums!

what is your build specs?

some thin PCB motherboards will require a H100i mod:

200x200px-ZC-6999b1e2_cm6m.jpeg

6 hours ago, tighesofly said:

Just ran a stress test on my pc and all the cores jumped to temps in the mid 90's instantly.  The h100i is push/pull intake with fans set to full during the test.  Is this a common problem or just how its supposed to be?

Remember to follow your posts dude and then you will know when we reply!

Anyway I am assuming you have tried to remount? 

I had been running into the same issue with a H110i GT cooler. I found the mod that airdeano suggested many of time when researching the problem. I ended up using the rubber mount bushings that came for mounting fans on my 760t case. Although it hasn't been the most ideal temps and solution it did help. Like you, i was hitting 90 to even 100 with the simplest of tasks and you could wiggle the block noticeably even though the screws were all the way tight. Now that i have the rubber spacers in there I hit maybe 60c on a 10 min stress test with a decent overclock. Give the spacers a try if you havent, O rings can be bought for like 25 cents at a auto parts store.xD

I am so sorry i forgot about this! I'm Running an i7 4790k on an Asus z97-a board, 290x windforce, 8gb ram, some storage.  No overclock yet, those temps were actually kinda scary since you know, h100i and all.  never had this problem using this cooler on my amd build though.  

I think it has to do with what motherboard more then anything. I wasnt running an overclock either when it happened to me. The biggest thing i would look for is whether the back plate moves once you've screwed the double ended screws into the back plate. if it wiggles back and forth then that is most likely your problem.