Windows Server vs linux server

Do you prefer windwos server or linux server me personnely i perf windows server i run 2 servers my domain controller is a lil dell optiplex 620 running server 2012 r2 datacenter andy my file server is server 2012 r2 datacenter on a dell optiplex 755 i choose windows server bc its easy to set up

My primary day job is a Windows Admin, I work with a few thousand Windows servers (ranging from NT to 2012 R2) and I prefer Linux all the way because it performs much better, much easier to install/configure, much easier to manage, and much more stable. I thought because I liked Linux more that Server Core would be a godsend, I was wrong. At least Microsoft is taking a lot of things out of the Linux playbook and Powershell is trying really hard to be bash.

-KuJoe

WS 2012 isn't free though, right?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Really depends on what you are wanting to do and run. Personally I lean towards Windows but I'm happy to use linux where it's more suited.

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Not for production it isn't.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

No, it's like $600 usd

1 minute ago, Jordaneer said:

No, it's like $600 usd

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Not for production it isn't.

So this is why I prefer Linux. Only reason though.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

7 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

WS 2012 isn't free though, right? no but as a server admin at a school district i get all of the server product keys and they let me use them on my personnel computers so i have 2 dells that run my servers at home 

4 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

So this is why I prefer Linux. Only reason though.

i like windows server bc to me i understand it better the command window in linux i know its sad bc i am a server admin for a local school district i started with server 2003 and 2000 and moved up the chain this is why i perf windows server plus i have been using windows for a long time what is one thing you like about linux i have used linux none server tho i like but i perf windows lol 

1 minute ago, Steven Barber said:

i like windows server bc to me i understand it better the command window in linux i know its sad bc i am a server admin for a local school district i started with server 2003 and 2000 and moved up the chain this is why i perf windows server plus i have been using windows for a long time what is one thing you like about linux i have used linux none server tho i like but i perf windows lol 

Yep, all comes down to what you know. Doesn't matter how good something is if you can't use it, something easily overlooked by many.

so true i like that linux is free tho i also collect computers i own about 3 dells all optiplex 3 hps and 2 macs people give them to me bc they dont work i rebult them its my life i love it and i like to work with windows so i totaly understand if you dont know something you can always learn it i havent give linux a try but i am willing to 

I usually prefer Linux, but Windows Server certainly have it's uses too. I wouldn't want to set up a Linux server as a domain controller for any other reason than for educational purposes. And Hyper-V is awesome.