Monitor keeps breaking resolution

Jesbro

Hello LTT community,

So I have a problem that keeps reoccurring once a month every since I got my GPU, but now there's no permanent fix this week. I have my HP W2371d monitor hooked up through a VGA-to-DVI adapter to my XFX R9 380. The first problem was that the monitor would boot up with a message "Signal out of range, H=75khz, V=60khz..." I was like "that's weird, I thought my monitor would be 60 hz constant". No worries, a simple unplug and replugging the converter from the back of my computer would fix it, or just rebooting my computer.

However, since I have Teamviewer installed on my computer, I used my phone as the monitor and figure out what's going on. That's weird, the MONITOR driver reset back to Generic PNP monitor, and before fixing that problem, the resolution would be 1600x1200!

Okay, and sometimes both solutions above didn't work. I had to reinstall the monitor driver and reboot to detect the monitor again. Good, all set. But, as of late, the monitor would boot up with H=34KHZ! HOW DO YOU GET 34?! I tried everything: reinstalling the monitor driver, the graphics driver, unplugging the cable... and then I thought "Maybe it's the cable". And voilà! I switched out the VGA cable to another one and the problem was fix! All good right?

NOPE, come today, and now it's back to fuzzy, shaky 34kHZ. I tried readjusting the adapter to all sorts of angles (at this point, there's now white marks/spots on the DVI spot on the GPU). I don't know how to fix this! Could it be the adapter no longer working? Should I get a DVI-D cable? Or could it be the monitor?! What caused these problems?! Windows 10?!

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

20 minutes ago, MrBucket101 said:

I would get a different DVI cable/adapter and see if the problem still persists

Is it worth getting an adapter or buy a dvi cable overall? What's the benefit of the cable?

1 hour ago, Jesbro said:

Is it worth getting an adapter or buy a dvi cable overall? What's the benefit of the cable?

the benefit of getting an adapter is maybe it will be cheaper than a full on cable, at least with my EVGA GPU's they include the adapter in the box.

Either will work, I was just saying the adapter could be interfering with how your system communicates with your display. so it would be worth switching it out

37 minutes ago, MrBucket101 said:

the benefit of getting an adapter is maybe it will be cheaper than a full on cable, at least with my EVGA GPU's they include the adapter in the box.

Either will work, I was just saying the adapter could be interfering with how your system communicates with your display. so it would be worth switching it out

Huh, seems like EVGA is the only one to do that.

And somehow, by leaving my VGA cable unplugged for an hour, the resolution is back to normal. WTF is going on?! 

14 hours ago, MrBucket101 said:

swap out your adapter lol

Well great. It seems this happens when I reboot my computer. I ordered a hdmi to dvi cable, lets see if that will fix it.

9 hours ago, MrBucket101 said:

I thought you were using this monitor (gpu) DVI->VGA (mon)

I am. I'm not sure if the cable would solve the issue.

On 2/24/2016 at 0:44 PM, Jesbro said:

Well, one of the main advantages of DVI is that it has much fewer cable-related problems. Might be worth a switch in this case.