FreeNAS SLOW Speeds....

L.E.D

I made a FreeNAS box running on a P4 2.8GHz CPU 3GB's of DDR, it has 2 160gb IDE's in a RAID1 for shits an giggles, I was trying it out, I also have a 1 Tb SATA running, now my problem is that it only gets 11.3MB/s Download and Upload, when they reach that speed it stays there which tells me there is headroom, the only thing is it should be running quite faster then that, I know someone is gonna say you are probably using a 10/100 network but I am NOT, I am using a gigabit network, there is a PCI Gigabit NIC in the tower the router is Gigabit and my PC has a gigabit NIC built in, I want to know why the FreeNAS Box is running as if it is on a 10/100 network, and if there is a way to fix this, also has it happened to anyone else ?

Thanks

Nathan

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Could be a hardware problem or a BSD problem. BSD doesn't have the greatest hardware compatibility so it's possible to be this. I think the best way to diagnose is to try another OS with a different kernel, like a linux live USB. If transfers are still at megabit speeds, its a hardware problem. I'm not sure of an equivalent of ethtool on BSD, but on ubuntu you should be able to run:

ethtool eth0

to get supported link modes.

EDIT: btw if this is a network issue it should probably be in the network section.

Well, I am fairly sure it is NOT a hardware problem because I used this exact hardware before, minus a 24 port Gigabit switch and now plus a gigabit router,

As said yes I probably should have put it in a different place, I am thinking about re-doing the system, complete install, only problem is that my sister and brother use it often for movies... If I unplug the drives then re-install FreeNAS and then plug the harddrives in, will it recognize the drives with the data still intact ?

Thanks

Nathan

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

I don't see how a reinstall is going to fix anything. BSD/Linux is not like windows in this way. The kernel will simply load modules/drivers as needed when it detects hardware. The fact that your network works in the first place is a sign that the NIC module is properly loaded.

Have you checked any FreeBSD/FreeNAS documentatation on whether that PCI network card is actually supported?

It could be the PCI bus being overloaded. PCI is not even rated for true Gigabit speeds to be honest. If you have another card in there, that could be taking up the bandwidth for the gigabit card as well. I assume you do since you said two IDE drives in RAID1. only add on cards would support that

-azeotrope, I know this card is supported, I used it before, with this and also pfSense, Also I am not quite sure where to find that, I would think just about any piece of hardware is supported

-ha1o2surfer, I use a software Raid1 the 2 IDE drives are just connected to the board as normal, but I will move the network card and see if it makes a difference I am not expecting it to though.

Thanks

Nathan

In order to narrow down the issue and make sure that its not IO, I suggest you use iperf to test your network speed across the server and one of your other computers. FreeBSD doesn't have the greatest hardwrae support for consumer hardware but it is flawless for server harddware, which is what it's mainly used for.

would you also care to give the output of ifconfig?

If I could remember how to run these tests I would surely give you the information, '

Nathan

Use the shell on the freenas web GUI. run iperf -s on your server. You will need a client, of which there are quite a few. You could try this guide to get it working.

You can also then run ifconfig in the shell

Ok, Thanks for the help here are the outputs

IFCONFIG

[root@freenas ~]# ifconfig

re0: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500

options=389b

,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>

ether 00:14:d1:22:c2:38

inet 192.168.1.118 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255

media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX )

fxp0: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500

options=2009

ether 00:07:e9:47:69:66

media: Ethernet autoselect (none)

lo0: flags=8049 metric 0 mtu 16384

options=3

inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3

inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128

inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

nd6 options=3

IPERF

bin/iperf.exe -c 192.168.1.118 -P 1 -i 1 -p 5001 -f k -t 10

------------------------------------------------------------

Client connecting to 192.168.1.118, TCP port 5001

TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)

------------------------------------------------------------

[152] local 192.168.1.6 port 53188 connected with 192.168.1.118 port 5001

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth

[152] 0.0- 1.0 sec 11688 KBytes 95748 Kbits/sec

[152] 1.0- 2.0 sec 11584 KBytes 94896 Kbits/sec

[152] 2.0- 3.0 sec 11592 KBytes 94962 Kbits/sec

[152] 3.0- 4.0 sec 11584 KBytes 94896 Kbits/sec

[152] 4.0- 5.0 sec 11576 KBytes 94831 Kbits/sec

[152] 5.0- 6.0 sec 11592 KBytes 94962 Kbits/sec

[152] 6.0- 7.0 sec 11592 KBytes 94962 Kbits/sec

[152] 7.0- 8.0 sec 11584 KBytes 94896 Kbits/sec

[152] 8.0- 9.0 sec 11568 KBytes 94765 Kbits/sec

[152] 9.0-10.0 sec 11592 KBytes 94962 Kbits/sec

[152] 0.0-10.0 sec 115960 KBytes 94840 Kbits/sec

Done.

Nathan

After reading more about it on the internet I found using "ifconfig -m" will list what the card can do, so here is what it can do,

capabilities=399b

,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>

ether 00:14:d1:22:c2:38

inet 192.168.1.118 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255

media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX )

supported media:

media autoselect mediaopt flowcontrol

media autoselect

media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol,master

media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol

media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,master

media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex

media 1000baseT mediaopt master

media 1000baseT

media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol

media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

media 100baseTX

media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol

media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex

media 10baseT/UTP

media none

Nathan

Not sure if you've worked it out, but that output seems to show that your NIC (re0) is running at 100baseT (megabit) instead of 1000baseT (gigabit), despite the fact that ifconfig -m indicates that it does indeed support gigabit. I'm not a BSD guy, but I've found this post as a basic example to change between media types. So as far as I can tell you should be able to run:

ifconfig media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex

to switch to gigabit. If this doesn't work then you may want to double check any cabling or other hardware in your network, as well as trying a linux live CD/USB just to be sure.

Yes It turns out to be the router, I really didn't feel like digging around it to find the settings but it was cause anything the connected it to run in 10/100 instead of gigabit, and I had a 24 port Gigabit switch lying around that I thought was dead but it runs fine now, so it is solved I get any where from 40 - 50 MB/S Up and Down, So I am much happier

I actually used " ifconfig re0 192.168.1.118 media 1000BaseT mediaopt full-duplex " to try and force it into gigabit but when I did that it would drop signal completely,

anyway thanks for the help, it is appreciated,

Nathan

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to open an old topic but I didn't want to make a new one for similar content.

I have a problem with connection speed's again but not with the FreeNAS well now it's OpenFiler but you get the point, on my PC I found the settings to force the NIC into Gigabit mode, I think it's 1000baseT Full-Duplex but when I try to connect to the 24Port Network switch when that setting is in place it either will not connect and just flicker connection ( ON and OFF ) or it will connect and show every sign of connecting but theres not actual connection to anything made, it says it has made a connection but I can't load any websites or connect to OpenFiler, I could load the OpenFiler Web Administration page but I think that was just through Cache.but if I set the NIC to use 100baseT Full-Duplex everything works fine ! it is a gigabit switch the PC is gigabit and the Cable is "Enhanced Cat5" (written on the cable).

Got any idea's ? I know I didn't give much info but that is all I know....

Thanks

Nathan

Once again, you need to isolate the problem, via process of elimination. Don't assume anything is working perfectly or isn't at fault (remember what happened last time?). Try something like an Ubuntu live CD/USB to rule out the OS, try a different ethernet cable, try different ports on the switch and try to connect the server directly with another computer with an ethernet cable. If it still runs at megabit, then it's your network card.

Well I have tried a Ubuntu live CD and it ran in 10/100 mode and then when I booted into windows it ran in gigabit but I couldn't load any web pages the the connection dropped and it has been sitting " flickering " connection I have tried many cables and many ports on the switch .... Now for the file sever are you suggesting that I plug the server directly into my pc ?

Thanks

Nathan

**EDIT**

It is connected and running in gigabit but I cannot move files to and from my OpenFiler machine, I think that might be cause by some config issues so forget I brought that up, I can browse the internet now but it is only a matter of time before this fails, In my opinion anyway...

Now for the file sever are you suggesting that I plug the server directly into my pc ?
yes.

It is connected and running in gigabit
I'm not sure if you're referring to a direct connection to another PC or not. If not, it seems to be the switch or some strange compatibility between the network card and the switch. Is this the same switch that you thought was dead? If it still runs on gigabit on the router, then the switch would be the prime suspect.

Well I have kinda forgotten what happened but yes it is the same switch and i don't have the money to replace a 24 port gigabit switch .....