Getting a DDC pump, PWM vs non PWM?

Hey guys,

Like the title states, i'm getting a ddc pump for my upcoming hard line build. I have the option between pwm and non pwm. Will the pwm be of any use?

Seeing as the pump will just be set at 100% anyways.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

PWM will allow the pump to automatically control its speed automatically based on cpu temps, which will result in better acoustics and efficiency. You don't mind the noise from the pump when its set to 100% all the time?

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

Ya I understand that 100%, but with a custom loop I am under the impression to run the pump at full duty and run the radiator fans through pwm control.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

the Laing DDC pumps are not the most quiet to use. plus the need for a heatsink to cool the PCB should be a necessary item.

you'll want the ability to control the speed to dampen the brain-splitting noise to something a bit acceptable. go PWM.

12 minutes ago, airdeano said:

the Laing DDC pumps are not the most quiet to use. plus the need for a heatsink to cool the PCB should be a necessary item.

you'll want the ability to control the speed to dampen the brain-splitting noise to something a bit acceptable. go PWM.

Ya getting the heat sink is a definite anyways for ddc pumps. Well than I will get the PWM pump. I guess run the pump off the cpu fan header?

4 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

Ya I understand that 100%, but with a custom loop I am under the impression to run the pump at full duty and run the radiator fans through pwm control.

You don't have to choose one or the other, you can PWM control your fans and the pump both if you'd like.

6 hours ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

I got this one: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/laing-ddc-pump-12v-ddc-3-25

Cant barely hear it, even at 100%. Granted, that is with a metal heat sink, but that is almost a requirement with these types of pumps.

It turns out unfortunately the ddc pump res combo that I was going to get is now compatible with a heat sink.

So i'm just gonna get a D5 vario and an Ek xres 100 revo and be done with it for good, just get a bigger res tube later on.

This also cause me go pretty much EK with all the big stuff. I already ordered the gpu block from Ncix for a steel.

I'll start a build log once my wife goes away to visit family LOL. Building this out into an Evolv ATX

8 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

It turns out unfortunately the ddc pump res combo that I was going to get is now compatible with a heat sink.

So i'm just gonna get a D5 vario and an Ek xres 100 revo and be done with it for good, just get a bigger res tube later on.

The heat sink replaces the plastic housing of the DDC pump, so there is no way it wont work with whatever combo unit you want.

If you want an EK combo that is small:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/laing-ddc-pump-12v-ddc-3-25

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-100-ddc-acetal

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ddc-heatsink-cover-black    (This product is guaranteed to be compatible with any EK-DDC type water pump (EK-DDC X-TOP type) or water pump / reservoir combo unit with (EK-DDC X-RES type), including DDC BAY X-RES.)

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

8 hours ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

The heat sink replaces the plastic housing of the DDC pump, so there is no way it wont work with whatever combo unit you want.

If you want an EK combo that is small:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/laing-ddc-pump-12v-ddc-3-25

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-100-ddc-acetal

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ddc-heatsink-cover-black    (This product is guaranteed to be compatible with any EK-DDC type water pump (EK-DDC X-TOP type) or water pump / reservoir combo unit with (EK-DDC X-RES type), including DDC BAY X-RES.)

The kit i was going to get comes with a DDC pump and a res pump top combo from darkside, that pump top res combo does not work with any of the heat sinks he sells. I don't know why so don't ask me lol, I had him try.

So I ordered a D5 vario and EK xres, and have almost changed my entire custom loop grocery list as a result. 

My loop is all EK now exept for the fittings and the D5 vario, pumps are mostly re-brands anyways. I lucked out with an EK pe360 rad he had used in a test.