First Build Help

Hi. I am building my first pc and I need help. I had a similar question before(here) but everything is changed since then. So I want to build a pc to play some games on it like Star Wars BF or Battlefield on an ultra-wide 3440x1440. Any help, suggestion recommendation greatly appreciated, especially on the GPU side. (is it good, should I switch to nvidia, people say its easier to deal with)

Also, what you guys think about buying used stuff for cheeper, any experience?

Here is the build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xmgf6h

Thank you

What's your budget, $1000? Is there anything else you want to do besides gaming? I've bought used parts before off eBay and had no problems, but that can depend on who you buy from.

Personally I would save a bit of money and buy a decent mid tower, then spend a bit more and get a modular power supply - it makes cable management so much easier!

4 minutes ago, Lanoi said:

What's your budget, $1000? Is there anything else you want to do besides gaming? I've bought used parts before off eBay and had no problems, but that can depend on who you buy from.

I want to stay around $1000 for everything (I still need games and windows etc) but this is my first gaming pc. it doesn't have to be perfect. If i can cut cost (going i3 etc) without loosing too much performance it would be great. Just some casual use and maybe 1080p video edditing

1 minute ago, brighteyes890 said:

Personally I would save a bit of money and buy a decent mid tower, then spend a bit more and get a modular power supply - it makes cable management so much easier!

you mean I need a smaller case?

Just now, tTIKA said:

you mean I need a bigger case?

You have a full tower there which is fine, but a mid tower (which is smaller and cheaper) is more than enough for what you want and any reasonable expansion (extra GPU, drives etc.)

The 8GB on the GPU will be very useful at that ultrawide resolution if you plan to use a lot of mods and want to turn all of the eyecandy on and sapphire is a great GPU manufacturer. 

If you're not doing anything else besides gaming then the i5 is just fine, but if you want to stream or edit videos, then I would suggest to go to with an i7.

If you have the extra money I would suggest to get a 16GB ram kit in a 2x8 configuration if you don't want to upgrade any time soon and if you so choose, you can do so without having to remove the rma that you have.

Corsair is an excellent brand for the case. 

I recommend going with a higher wattage PSU to avoid any unnecessary stress on it, as higher PSUs won't consume more power from the wall as it all comes down to effeciency, I would recommend at least 600W in case you need more room for further upgrades. 

1 minute ago, brighteyes890 said:

You have a full tower there which is fine, but a mid tower (which is smaller and cheaper) is more than enough for what you want and any reasonable expansion (extra GPU, drives etc.)

Ow, didn't know that. Thanks. Any suggestions on GPU?

4 minutes ago, brighteyes890 said:

Semi-modular as is already selected is fine as well the main point is to get rid of the unused cable blob.

Just now, tTIKA said:

Ow, didn't know that. Thanks. Any suggestions on GPU?

I run a 970, but for your resolution I might say stick with the 390! Both are very good cards, and usability is fine for both.

2 minutes ago, Darkcrow022 said:

The 8GB on the GPU will be very useful at that ultrawide resolution if you plan to use a lot of mods and want to turn all of the eyecandy on and sapphire is a great GPU manufacturer. 

If you're not doing anything else besides gaming then the i5 is just fine, but if you want to stream or edit videos, then I would suggest to go to with an i7.

If you have the extra money I would suggest to get a 16GB ram kit in a 2x8 configuration if you don't want to upgrade any time soon and if you so choose, you can do so without having to remove the rma that you have.

I recommend going with a higher wattage PSU to avoid any unnecessary stress on it, as higher PSUs won't consume more power from the wall as it all comes down to effeciency, I would recommend at least 600W in case you need more room for further upgrades. 

Verry helpful, thanks. Lastly do you think need a motherboard with crossfire for the future? (this one has it butI might change the mb for this build)

3 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

Semi-modular as is already selected is fine as well the main point is to get rid of the unused cable blob.

Fair enough, I would prefer a fully modular one but you make a good point. He could still save money on the full tower and spend a bit more elsewhere though.

1 minute ago, tTIKA said:

Verry helpful, thanks. Lastly do you think need a motherboard with crossfire for the future? (this one has it butI might change the mb for this build)

It is pretty common that mobos support crossfire and not SLI, so you should be okay - but it would make sense to get one that supports it just in case you do go for another card in the future.

1 minute ago, tTIKA said:

This one is tricky, and if you believe you will need a multi-GPU setup in the future, I would suggest to get a SLI-ready motherboard in case you go with an Nvidia GPU in a distant future upgrade and then plan to add another down the line, and even if that's the case, you will need to select an even higher wattage PSU. 

12 minutes ago, Darkcrow022 said:

how do I make sure my motherboard works with the case, have enough usb headers etc to connect to case front ports

9 minutes ago, brighteyes890 said:

It is pretty common that mobos support crossfire and not SLI, so you should be okay - but it would make sense to get one that supports it just in case you do go for another card in the future.

Thank you. Finally, any advice on pc's in general?

Just now, tTIKA said:

Thank you. Finally, any advice on pc's in general?

I might spend the little bit extra and get i5 4690k, just if you ever wanted to overclock since that is where a lot of bang for your buck comes from. You may want an after market cooler if you do that, but you can always just run the CPU at standard speed and then when you have the cash buy a cooler. Otherwise you will be stuck with a non overclockable CPU. That isn't a massive issue and by no means is it a 'must' but it is just something to keep in mind :)

7 minutes ago, tTIKA said:

how do I make sure my motherboard works with the case, have enough usb headers etc to connect to case front ports

In the specs page on asrock's website you will see the information. If it says that supports 8 USB 3.0 ports (4 in the front and 4 in the rear) it means that the motherboard has 2 headers for front panel connectors. Each USB header can support up to 2 USB connectors. This includes USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1. And in corsair's specs page you will see how many USB headers the case has. 

Edited by Darkcrow022
Incomplete info.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($224.95 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($92.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($68.58 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($274.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $965.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 03:09 EST-0500

I'd go with this

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P