Upgrading parents old pc

yusup31
Go to solution Solved by Leonard,

You need to make sure you can get all the needed drivers for the new OS before you install anything, if not you could then have, at beast, a wonky PC.

My parents would like there system to run windows 10 as it is on vista now. I have told them a new system would be best but money is tight and computer is not there main concern, so my question is if I get a cheap new hard drive, probably the 250gb WD blue drive, can I install a oem windows 7 on it, then install it into my parents PC. Through the bios set it as the boot drive and have them still able to access the files? I know in theory this should work I just want a second opinion before I do so.

You need to make sure you can get all the needed drivers for the new OS before you install anything, if not you could then have, at beast, a wonky PC.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Just now, Leonard said:

That's true I figured I could just move all of the old files over and just get rid of windows Vista

1 minute ago, BlyduJynx said:

That's true I figured I could just move all of the old files over and just get rid of windows Vista

You could but the drivers are something you don't want to overlook. What are the system specs?

Just now, Leonard said:

You could but the drivers are something you don't want to overlook. What are the system specs?

It's a hp pavilion with a pentium inside 2gb of ddr2 ram aND integrated graphics 

3 minutes ago, BlyduJynx said:

It's a hp pavilion with a pentium inside 2gb of ddr2 ram aND integrated graphics 

You might be able to get windows7 on it and have proper drivers but forget about win10...xD

I know someone with windows 7 32bit on a pentium with ddr2 and the PC runs slowly but it runs.

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

You might be able to get windows7 on it and have proper drivers but forget about win10...xD

I know someone with windows 7 32bit on a pentium with ddr2 and the PC runs slowly but it runs.

Ugh God dammit haha well I guess we're back to square one maybe this time they will just listen to me and buy a new one or a decent used one haha.

2 hours ago, BlyduJynx said:

Ugh God dammit haha well I guess we're back to square one maybe this time they will just listen to me and buy a new one or a decent used one haha.

A good used one might be the best  choice as money is tight.

8 hours ago, Leonard said:

A good used one might be the best  choice as money is tight.

That's what I figured. I find it funny they always have enough money for expensive guitars but they could careless about a computer, so it is frustrating.