Migrate OS (and all the files) to a new computer

I'm going to build a new computer for a friend and I'm not sure if you can save the money for buying a new Windows 10 License just by migrating the data from the HDD in his laptop to the new seagate hybrid drive. Is it possible to do this?

This would save the time transferring all the files, the time installing the OS and obviously the cash for a new license. :)

I thought about this as I saw the Data Migration Tutorial on NCIX Tech Tips because Linus did exactly this.

I can't believe it's working that way because you could buy a cheap old hdd and install Windows 10 on it once. After that you migrate the data to an unlimited amount of drives and use them in several different PCs but I thought you always have to buy a new license every time you are building a new computer.

2 hours ago, Marmaran_1 said:

~snip~

Hey there Marmaran_1 :) Welcome to the community! 

There's little to no chance that the same OS with the same drivers will run on different hardware. Even if it does the new computer will be prone to a lot of errors and compatibility issues. 

What you can try is to get the key of the OS of your friend's laptop and use it to do a fresh install of the same OS on the new computer. you can get the ISO file from MS's website and create a bootable thumb drive. Here's how to check the key:

Assuming you can boot your computer without any problems, you can easily create a simple VBscript that will read the value out of the registry and then translate it into the format that you need for reinstalling. Copy and paste the following into a Notepad window:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

You’ll need to use File -> Save As, change the “Save as type” to “All Files” and then name it productkey.vbs or something similar ending with the vbs extension. Once you’ve saved it, you can just double-click and the popup window will show you your product key.

I'd consult with the manufacturer of the laptop if you can reuse the OS for reinstalling, though. :)

Post back if you have questions! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thx Captain_WD :)

I tried this script on my PC and it worked just fine.

I thought it's not legal to reuse the product key for a second activation (because I read it somewhere on a forum).

Just now, Marmaran_1 said:

~snip~

This is why it is important to first consult with the manufacturer if your license allows you to reuse the key for reinstalling the OS and if you can have it on multiple computers at the same time. :)

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

7 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

This is why it is important to first consult with the manufacturer if your license allows you to reuse the key for reinstalling the OS and if you can have it on multiple computers at the same time. :)

OK

I'm trying to contact the manufacturer tomorrow or so.

I come back to this topic if I have any question left.

You can't use an OEM license from a laptop on a custom built pc. Unless you bring a part from it, usually the motherboard but it could be the HDD, RAM or something else.