Planning to Upgrade Computer

Hi,  I am a semi-noob  when it comes to computer parts. I want to upgrade my current computer, which I built but I haven't decided on the parts yet. My current build is this  https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/mvmijares/saved/#view=RtBmP6 on the right hand side. I'm debating between spending money on a GTX 960 or spend a bit more for a GTX 970. The reason for the GTX 960 is because I want to get more RAM, storage, and a new power supply. I still have to get a new power supply because the power supply listed on the build isn't the actual one I'm using, I had to get a place holder one because that one busted due to constant power outages around my area. 

Also if anyone knows should I replace all my RAM or just get an additional 8 gigs of RAM (If I get an additional 8gigs does it have to be the same as the current one im using) if I want to upgrade? Its primarily for school / work since I'm a Game Dev. 

1 minute ago, Lyton said:

Hi,  I am a semi-noob  when it comes to computer parts. I want to upgrade my current computer, which I built but I haven't decided on the parts yet. My current build is this  https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/mvmijares/saved/#view=RtBmP6 on the right hand side. I'm debating between spending money on a GTX 960 or spend a bit more for a GTX 970. The reason for the GTX 960 is because I want to get more RAM, storage, and a new power supply. I still have to get a new power supply because the power supply listed on the build isn't the actual one I'm using, I had to get a place holder one because that one busted due to constant power outages around my area. 

Also if anyone knows should I replace all my RAM or just get an additional 8 gigs of RAM (If I get an additional 8gigs does it have to be the same as the current one im using) if I want to upgrade? Its primarily for school / work since I'm a Game Dev. 

Your moms build looks nice. Can you post the right link so I can touch it?

@Lyton

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor 
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($64.98 @ Canada Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($64.98 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($118.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.95 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  ($288.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.96 @ BestDirect) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ NCIX) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($27.10 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $871.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-16 11:50 EST-0500

I don't know your budget for this, but if money isn't a big problem, this would be nice.

1 minute ago, Wouterrinos said:

@Lyton

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor 
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($118.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.95 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  ($288.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.96 @ BestDirect) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ NCIX) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($27.10 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $871.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-16 11:50 EST-0500

I don't know your budget for this, but if money isn't a big problem, this would be nice.

I have an 700-800$ dollar CA budget for upgrading but I want to fit in upgrading my RAM / Storage / Power supply as well. I was just wondering if I I should just get the 960 and save more money or spend the money to get a 970. I was also watching the video that comparing video cards by specs isn't ideal so I wanted to get other peoples input on this topic.

4 minutes ago, Lyton said:

I have an 700-800$ dollar CA budget for upgrading but I want to fit in upgrading my RAM / Storage / Power supply as well. I was just wondering if I I should just get the 960 and save more money or spend the money to get a 970. I was also watching the video that comparing video cards by specs isn't ideal so I wanted to get other peoples input on this topic.

I don't know how much of the videocard you're using as a Game dev, but seeing that you survived that long on the 570, the 970 will last you a long time as well I think, but again, I don't know how much gpu you're using as Game dev. The SSD, psu and RAM are in the build already.

12 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

I don't know how much of the videocard you're using as a Game dev, but seeing that you survived that long on the 570, the 970 will last you a long time as well I think, but again, I don't know how much gpu you're using as Game dev. The SSD, psu and RAM are in the build already.

I haven't come across a problem where I am developing a game where it is GPU expensive but Its more of a RAM issue than a GPU issue. Thanks again for your input. Ill see if I can manage to put the 970 in my budget. 

1 hour ago, Lyton said:

I haven't come across a problem where I am developing a game where it is GPU expensive but Its more of a RAM issue than a GPU issue. Thanks again for your input. Ill see if I can manage to put the 970 in my budget. 

If you haven't come across a problem with it, why would you buy the better gpu?

The GPU is primarily for gaming purposes but I also want to take advantage of DX 12 on the newer graphics card. 

5 minutes ago, Lyton said:

The GPU is primarily for gaming purposes but I also want to take advantage of DX 12 on the newer graphics card. 

For gaming the 970 is indeed better, but the 960 supports DX 12 as well. (for gaming you can even go for the 380/390)

you should have gotten an SSD for your operating system to begin with, but if you feel like re-installing it onto one for the upgrade, do so. It's worth it. 

About memory, does your motherboard have 4 slots? Having 16 Gb of it has definitely improved my performance in certain things, such as editing, opening new windows, all those memory-heavy things. 

Also, you might have spent too much on your case, There are plenty of cases with the same features for much less, which would have let u be able to upgrade your processor or something. 

1 hour ago, instagraml said:

you should have gotten an SSD for your operating system to begin with, but if you feel like re-installing it onto one for the upgrade, do so. It's worth it. 

About memory, does your motherboard have 4 slots? Having 16 Gb of it has definitely improved my performance in certain things, such as editing, opening new windows, all those memory-heavy things. 

Also, you might have spent too much on your case, There are plenty of cases with the same features for much less, which would have let u be able to upgrade your processor or something. 

At the time I wasn't really thinking as much but since that build was made 3 years ago, I can't do anything about it now. It has 4 slots so I'm going to buy 2 more of the same RAM. I'm not really sure about the SSD because I have to reinstall the same OS. It was either just get an external hard drive or If i were to get an SSD,  I was thinking about upgrade my OS as well since I have windows 7 (not legally unfortunately) but I want to know if I should get Windows 8 or 10.