Q6660 Socket 775 NAS

Tieox

Hi all, utter rookie to networking while I've built gaming rigs for myself/friends, I've never tried my hand at a NAS, I will have soon at my disposal;

Q6660 2.4GHZ

Asus MOBO ( Crossfire not sure which model)

4GB DDR2 800MHZ

500GB SATA.

Could I add more drives to this (plenty of room Antec 1200 case) and turn it into a NAS on the cheap as a data backup system, so I don't loose my damn Steam library again (see offtopic)

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

There are usually around 4 sata ports on a board (not always but mostly imo) so you have space for a few more drives. If that isn't enough then pci sata cards can be used to expand your drive count.

Would I need to run special software to configure the NAS setup? Or could this be done within a Windows HomeGroup?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

I just use homegroup and shared folders for ease. You can get specific nas software but I found just using an old windows machine to be the easiest. (I may be wrong though, I am sure someone will shout if I am)

Oh sweet, I felt I was entering something I needed to study for! I've never really looked into backup solutions beyond external drives/pendrives.  

Been watching Linus and the Whonnock server failure, and then my external Steam Library dies, so I choose to take this as time to sort something better.

I use mine more as a media storage unit, I am not sure about actual backup functionality but it should be pretty easy to set up

Thanks, I appreciate the quick responses!, if anyone has anything else to throw into the mix, I shall be here all day rebuilding my Steam Library.

I have just had a quick look at windows backup on windwos 10, and that allows backing up to a network location so that's good.

Google Chrome has a remote desktop tool which will allow you to control your "server" pc without having to have keyboard monitor and mouse connected to it. I find it works well for my needs.

Your welcome, I am just sat here watching jayztwocents latest upload lol

On 2/16/2016 at 11:46 PM, Kierax said:

Hi all, utter rookie to networking while I've built gaming rigs for myself/friends, I've never tried my hand at a NAS, I will have soon at my disposal;

Q6660 2.4GHZ

Asus MOBO ( Crossfire not sure which model)

4GB DDR2 800MHZ

500GB SATA.

Could I add more drives to this (plenty of room Antec 1200 case) and turn it into a NAS on the cheap as a data backup system, so I don't loose my damn Steam library again (see offtopic)

Veeam endpoint backup, use it.

Setup a storage pool on the NAS, run Veeam endpoint backup on each system and point it to a share on the storage pool.

Make the recovery disk.