Slow network speed

FaZeFuhrer

I am transfering files between my custom built pc with an asus motherboard with an intel gigabit port and a hp z210 with an intel gigabit as well. I first had them connected with a 10mbps switch and got 11.4 mbps then got a 100mbps and both pc's said that they had a 100mbps link with each other and when i transfered files it was still at 11.5 mbps. I have intel ssd's on both and decided to transfer from one to another thinking it was an issue with the mechanical drives being slow. The ssd was still having the same speed. i am getting a gigabit switch in the coming weeks and will try again then. what is with my slow speed? i have tried searching on the forums and their solutions didnt work for me.

thanks for your help.

1 minute ago, FaZeFuhrer said:

I am transfering files between my custom built pc with an asus motherboard with an intel gigabit port and a hp z210 with an intel gigabit as well. I first had them connected with a 10mbps switch and got 11.4 mbps then got a 100mbps and both pc's said that they had a 100mbps link with each other and when i transfered files it was still at 11.5 mbps. I have intel ssd's on both and decided to transfer from one to another thinking it was an issue with the mechanical drives being slow. The ssd was still having the same speed. i am getting a gigabit switch in the coming weeks and will try again then. what is with my slow speed? i have tried searching on the forums and their solutions didnt work for me.

thanks for your help.

Are you sure we are talking about a 100MB/s or a 100Mbit/s switch? Becuase if it is via a100Mbit/s switch and cables (which it probably is), 11.5MB/s is not too bad. 100/8 = 12,5. 
Remember, there are 8 bits in 1 Byte. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

Are you certain you're getting 11.5Mbps and not 11.5MB/s? Downloads and file transfers tend to be shown in MB/s rather than Mbps. 

With a Gigabit switch, you should be expecting around 115MB/s or so. With a 100Mbps link, 11.5MB/s sounds about right.