Changing CPU question?

Xafer

If i decide to upgrade my CPU what am i then required to do with drivers and such things? do i have to reinstall windows ?

Im kind of new at this, and i havent been able to find a guide for dummies.

You'll need to update your drivers if your getting a new motherboard as well - no reinstall windows or anything, cause thats on your harddrive!

How are you upgrading your CPU? Just the CPU or the motherboard as well?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

9 minutes ago, sebz2 said:

You'll need to update your drivers if your getting a new motherboard as well - no reinstall windows or anything, cause thats on your harddrive!

Not sure how to interpret part of this post. Drivers are on the boot drive as well by default. Can you elaborate your post?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Not sure how to interpret part of this post. Drivers are on the boot drive as well by default. Can you elaborate your post?

When I upgraded my motherboard or something I got way less fps when my cpu was 3x better then my old core 2 duo. I put in the disk thing from the gigabyte MB and installed it and wallah higher fps.

Just now, sebz2 said:

When I upgraded my motherboard or something I got way less fps when my cpu was 3x better then my old core 2 duo. I put in the disk thing from the gigabyte MB and installed it and wallah higher fps.

You installed drivers from the disc, which tells me that the drivers may have had to be reinstalled. That being said, the drivers on the disc are outdated and should be grabbed from the manufacturer's website, either of the individual component or from the motherboard's product support page.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You installed drivers from the disc, which tells me that the drivers may have had to be reinstalled. That being said, the drivers on the disc are outdated and should be grabbed from the manufacturer's website, either of the individual component or from the motherboard's product support page.

Oh i guess I will do that later xD thanks!

You just swap the cpu, that is what i did when i changed my i3 4160 to my 4790k. It only took a little bit longer to boot

3 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

You just swap the cpu, that is what i did when i changed my i3 4160 to my 4790k. It only took a little bit longer to boot

Not necessarily true. In your case, you had Haswell Refresh CPUs. If you were to go from normal Haswell to Haswell Refresh, a BIOS update might be required in order to use the CPU. Same goes with Intel's latest CPUs. A BIOS update is required in order to fully use them.