First Time Build

Hello everyone I've been interested in building a computer for a while now and i'm finally about to. My max budget is around $800 and I would appreciate any suggestions but here are the parts so far. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

Motherboard: ASrock H97 Anniversary

Ram: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM

GPU: Undecided (GTX 970 or R9 390)

Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express

PSU: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX

Case: Corsair Spec-01 ATX Mid Tower

Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Pw8DBm

The graphics card is undecided right now because i'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the GTX 970 and the R9 390 (Not to mention which brand I should pick).

I don't plan on overclocking but i'm still not sure if my PSU is enough for the R9 390.

I also really like the fact that the 390 has 8GB of VRam. This is my first time building so i'm a little overwhelmed lol so any and all suggestions are welcomed.

A 500W PSU is enough for an R9 390, since you're not planning on OCing anything. Scrap the HDD and use the money saved from that and a less powerful PSU so you can go with a 240GB SSD instead.

Go with a 970. I had to learn the hard way that just because the numbers or bigger doesn't mean it's better. Look at AMD CPUs versus Intel CPUs. Quad Core i7s from intel absolutely CRUSH 8 Core CPUs from AMD. The 970 is a fantastic card. Just my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

A 500W PSU is enough for an R9 390, since you're not planning on OCing anything. Scrap the HDD and use the money saved from that and a less powerful PSU so you can go with a 240GB SSD instead.

I would rather just cough up some extra money for a 120GB SSD in addition to the HDD because I need the space for my music and games 

19 minutes ago, DakeDravis said:

Go with a 970. I had to learn the hard way that just because the numbers or bigger doesn't mean it's better. Look at AMD CPUs versus Intel CPUs. Quad Core i7s from intel absolutely CRUSH 8 Core CPUs from AMD. The 970 is a fantastic card. Just my opinion.

What? Apples and oranges. You just argued that a 970 is better than an R9 390 (debatable) because Intel's core i7 is faster than a AMD CPU? What?

1 minute ago, Dogeystyle said:

What? Apples and oranges. You just argued that a 970 is better than an R9 390 (debatable) because Intel's core i7 is faster than a AMD CPU? What?

I was simply saying that just because an AMD card has 8GB of Vram does not make it better than say an Nvidia card with 4GB of Vram. It is debatable, because it depends on what you play or what you do with it. In my personal experience I've found I like Nvidia cards more than AMD cards. Everyone has their opinions/preferences though. :D

4 minutes ago, DakeDravis said:

I was simply saying that just because an AMD card has 8GB of Vram does not make it better than say an Nvidia card with 4GB of Vram. It is debatable, because it depends on what you play or what you do with it. In my personal experience I've found I like Nvidia cards more than AMD cards. Everyone has their opinions/preferences though. :D

That's true but wouldn't the 8GB help future proof?

Just now, whats911number said:

That's true but wouldn't the 8GB help future proof?

I don't believe that either of these cards are exactly "Future proof". Right now, with things transitioning into 4k gaming, to future proof at this point you want to invest a little more into your card. such as a 980TI or even a Fury X. But the sweet spot for the moment is the 970. My advice to you is to not be impatient with getting your PC built. If you can, wait a bit, and save for better parts.