Case Selection Advice

Greetings, all!

I'm building a budget PC ($1500 USD) and it has come to my attention that the case I have selected is no longer in stock.  I would like your assistance on choosing a new case based off of the parts listed in the PCPartsPicker list I've made.  Here's the list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mackhack321/saved/b2nxFT

I'd like the case to be fully compatible with the parts listed, along with having the same ports as the previously selected one.

Thanks in advance.

Proud member of the Warranty Voider Club.  Join us.

12 minutes ago, Killervolt said:

A couple of things:

I appreciate the help and hate to be picky, but would it be possible to find one with a side viewing panel?

Also, as the new PSU you've selected is more expensive than the previous one, it'd be great if you could explain your reasoning behind the switch.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, mackhack321 said:

A couple of things:

I appreciate the help and hate to be picky, but would it be possible to find one with a side viewing panel?

Also, as the new PSU you've selected is more expensive than the previous one, it'd be great if you could explain your reasoning behind the switch.

Thanks!

Sorry I haven't been online in a while,

That case does actually have a side viewing panel, not sure where you got that idea . . . Another good case option would be the NZXT S340, I've seen very good reviews about that case.

And also I chose that other Power supply because the power supply you've chosen- the CX Series have a really bad reputation, especially on this forum. Here's a list of recommended power supplies, choose whichever one seems to be best for you: 

Hope I could help.

Define R5, but in general there is a pretty significant amount of waste/inefficiency in that build.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

The Mastercase 5, by CoolerMaster is my personal favorite case. If you want something with top mounted radiator support, and a side window, I'd recommend getting the Mastercase PRO 5. You can always buy the basic one, then buy the upgrades separately (windowed side panel & top rad mount) separately, but that works out more expensive.

CPU: Core i7 7700K | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 | MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-AR | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance LPX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | SSD: Kingston 128GB SSD & Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | Case: CoolerMaster Mastercase Pro 5

14 hours ago, Killervolt said:

Sorry I haven't been online in a while,

That case does actually have a side viewing panel, not sure where you got that idea . . . Another good case option would be the NZXT S340, I've seen very good reviews about that case.

And also I chose that other Power supply because the power supply you've chosen- the CX Series have a really bad reputation, especially on this forum. Here's a list of recommended power supplies, choose whichever one seems to be best for you: 

Hope I could help.

This is indeed a very large help.  Thank you.

11 hours ago, FusionDeck said:

The Mastercase 5, by CoolerMaster is my personal favorite case. If you want something with top mounted radiator support, and a side window, I'd recommend getting the Mastercase PRO 5. You can always buy the basic one, then buy the upgrades separately (windowed side panel & top rad mount) separately, but that works out more expensive.

I'll definitely look into it.  Thanks a bunch.

14 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Define R5, but in general there is a pretty significant amount of waste/inefficiency in that build.

Care to elaborate on your thoughts?  I'd love to further evaluate the efficiency of the build using whatever advice you may have.  Thank in advance.

13 minutes ago, mackhack321 said:

Care to elaborate on your thoughts?  I'd love to further evaluate the efficiency of the build using whatever advice you may have.  Thank in advance.

So a few main things....

That cooler is way over priced due to being semi low profile.

120gb ssds and 1tb hdds should never be bought because they are both exceedingly inefficient from a value perspective and tend to be much slower than their 240gb/2tb variants.

Likewise the WiFi adapter you choose is much slower and yet more expensive than the ac one linked below.

This one is kinda personal preference but I don't recommend corsair fans because they are pretty loud and mediocre while being relatively expensive.

The power supply as mentioned is a poor choice imho. 

Overall, here is an alternate build that should be cheaper while being better in every possible way:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($224.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($75.99 @ Directron) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($111.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($479.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-118CB/BEBE DVD/CD Drive  ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Fractal Design HP12-PWM 61.4 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($14.49 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($11.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1320.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 13:58 EST-0500

Finally get your OS from r/MicrosoftSoftwareSwap and save about 60-80 USD.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So a few main things....

120gb ssds and 1tb hdds should never be bought because they are both exceedingly inefficient from a value perspective and tend to be much slower than their 240gb/2tb variants.

Likewise the WiFi adapter you choose is much slower and yet more expensive than the ac one linked below.

This one is kinda personal preference but I don't recommend corsair fans because they are pretty loud and mediocre while being relatively expensive.

Overall, here is an alternate build that should be cheaper while being better in every possible way:

CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($75.99 @ Directron) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($111.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($479.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 

While I truly appreciate the above-and-beyond assistance you have provided, I think I'd like to stick more to my original plan.  However, I will probably use the case and wireless adapter.  Also, I wanted to make an effort to avoid liquid cooling in my build.  I appreciate the advice very much.  I'll definitely compare the parts you have listed to mine.

51 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So a few main things....

I've found a case I really like...would you mind giving me your thoughts on it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011051ww

47 minutes ago, mackhack321 said:

While I truly appreciate the above-and-beyond assistance you have provided, I think I'd like to stick more to my original plan.  However, I will probably use the case and wireless adapter.  Also, I wanted to make an effort to avoid liquid cooling in my build.  I appreciate the advice very much.  I'll definitely compare the parts you have listed to mine.

Then just buy a hyper 212 evo and be done with it. Or spend a bit more for a better noctua cooler. The one you chose is NOT very good compared to tower coolers.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, mackhack321 said:

I've found a case I really like...would you mind giving me your thoughts on it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011051ww

It's a notably worse case than the Define R5, but in the end case choice is your preference. It will work.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Then just buy a hyper 212 evo and be done with it. Or spend a bit more for a better noctua cooler. The one you chose is NOT very good compared to tower coolers.

It would be great if you could link me to "a better noctua cooler" you think will work fine.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

It's a notably worse case than the Define R5, but in the end case choice is your preference. It will work.

Notably worse in what fields?

Thanks

2 hours ago, mackhack321 said:

Notably worse in what fields?

Thanks

Lower airflow, much louder at the same airflow, worse build quality. It's totally functional but the Define R5 is one of the best midtowers less than 200 dollars.

2 hours ago, mackhack321 said:

It would be great if you could link me to "a better noctua cooler" you think will work fine.  Thanks.

Noctua NH-D15 is the best air cooler on the market (well basically). 

NH-D14 is about the same price as the origjanl one you chose while being much better.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

14 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Lower airflow, much louder at the same airflow, worse build quality. It's totally functional but the Define R5 is one of the best midtowers less than 200 dollars.

Noctua NH-D15 is the best air cooler on the market (well basically). 

NH-D14 is about the same price as the origjanl one you chose while being much better.

I did some heavy refining.  Check it out if you so please.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mackhack321/saved/b2nxFT

43 minutes ago, mackhack321 said:

I did some heavy refining.  Check it out if you so please.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mackhack321/saved/b2nxFT

The parts you swapped look good, I still highly recommend moving to a 240GB ssd at the very least. The adata drive I linked is better overall and only costed like 5 dollars more.

I assume you want those fans for the leds, which I guess is fine, but they aren't needed at all with the fans that come with the spec case.

A 212 evo will be plenty good enough.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

22 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

The parts you swapped look good, I still highly recommend moving to a 240GB ssd at the very least. The adata drive I linked is better overall and only costed like 5 dollars more.

I assume you want those fans for the leds, which I guess is fine, but they aren't needed at all with the fans that come with the spec case.

A 212 evo will be plenty good enough.

Alright.  Thanks for the information