Ping gets high when multiple devices connected

clyeong

Hi everyone,

I am using a D-Link DSL-2640B Wireless Modem Router which is connected to two PCs and one CCTV system via cable. On the other hand, there are another 5 devices (or more sometimes) that are connected to the router wirelessly. Whenever I try to game (Dota 2/BF4 particularly), the pings get very high and is unplayable. I have to deal with 2-3 seconds delay with minor freezing. If I disconnected a few wireless devices, the ping gets normal. I was wondering if this is a router limitation or my connection speed issue because I am using a 1.5mbps line (fibre isn't available in my area). If it is a router limitation, which router should I upgrade to in order to sustain a smooth connection even when >10 devices connect at the same time?

Sincere thanks for all replies and suggestions!

The computer that you use to play Dota2 is wired? If not, I'll recommend not using wireless. If there's restriction and you can't get an Ethernet cable for that computer, get a decent AP (access point) and it will be wired to the router so you can position it better near your computer. Another option is using powerline if you have good electric wiring and the plug near your router and computer is on the same circuit.

If the connection to the devices (wired and wireless) is fine, it may be with the wireless devices using up your bandwidth. Someone is watching videos on their phones/laptops, etc. A way to determine it is connecting one of those wireless device at a time and check your pings (one computer pinging google.com constantly).

11 minutes ago, MeshFile said:

The computer that you use to play Dota2 is wired? If not, I'll recommend not using wireless. If there's restriction and you can't get an Ethernet cable for that computer, get a decent AP (access point) and it will be wired to the router so you can position it better near your computer. Another option is using powerline if you have good electric wiring and the plug near your router and computer is on the same circuit.

If the connection to the devices (wired and wireless) is fine, it may be with the wireless devices using up your bandwidth. Someone is watching videos on their phones/laptops, etc. A way to determine it is connecting one of those wireless device at a time and check your pings (one computer pinging google.com constantly).

Yes, it is wired. I did check on the other users (my mom and sister, mostly) and they were not watching any videos. Sometimes the changes in ping is so prominent when I switch off my phone's WiFi capabilities. 

If you have a 1.5Mbps uplink and you're sharing it with multiple devices your only option is to either upgrade your internet bandwidth or utilize QoS to ensure a minimum connection while gaming (at the expense of everybody else getting slow speeds). If you do decide to go the QoS path, you might need a new router that supports it and has a somewhat decent CPU and RAM for so many devices at once.

-KuJoe

You might try testing to see how low you can set your MTU before fragmentation. That will give you a little boost, but +1 QoS if MTU doesn't help. 

As for configuring your gateway, what hardware model do you have? B2? B3? Unfornatly it is a very old device so support and features are lacking. 

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

If you have a 1.5Mbps uplink and you're sharing it with multiple devices your only option is to either upgrade your internet bandwidth or utilize QoS to ensure a minimum connection while gaming (at the expense of everybody else getting slow speeds). If you do decide to go the QoS path, you might need a new router that supports it and has a somewhat decent CPU and RAM for so many devices at once.

Fortunately there is QoS option in the Advanced Setup of the router's configuration. I will google and check it out how it's work! Thanks :)

1 hour ago, Trikein said:

You might try testing to see how low you can set your MTU before fragmentation. That will give you a little boost, but +1 QoS if MTU doesn't help. 

As for configuring your gateway, what hardware model do you have? B2? B3? Unfornatly it is a very old device so support and features are lacking. 

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by B2 and B3, is that supposed to be mean the revision model? 

17 minutes ago, clyeong said:

Fortunately there is QoS option in the Advanced Setup of the router's configuration. I will google and check it out how it's work! Thanks :)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by B2 and B3, is that supposed to be mean the revision model? 

Yes. Revision=Hardware revision. Basically does it look like this or this? Or if it's easier what is the FCC ID?

55 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Yes. Revision=Hardware revision. Basically does it look like this or this? Or if it's easier what is the FCC ID?

It is the second one. 

1 hour ago, clyeong said:

It is the second one. 

Darn. That i s the older one. I looked over the emulator found here. To access. go to 192.168.1.1 User: admin Password: admin . Then Advanced> ADSL and enable "AnnexM Enabled"  This will sacrifice some of your download to help your upload. Also Home > DNS and uncheck automatic DNS and program 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Last, check your firmware Status > Device info. Firmware 4.01 fixes a issue with autosense and Annex M. See how that works.

The router actually has a form of QoS but it is pretty archaic. Can also look at ASDL advanced settings and tone selection, but you would need more info from your ISP on how they do DSL in your area. 

10 hours ago, Trikein said:

Darn. That i s the older one. I looked over the emulator found here. To access. go to 192.168.1.1 User: admin Password: admin . Then Advanced> ADSL and enable "AnnexM Enabled"  This will sacrifice some of your download to help your upload. Also Home > DNS and uncheck automatic DNS and program 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Last, check your firmware Status > Device info. Firmware 4.01 fixes a issue with autosense and Annex M. See how that works.

The router actually has a form of QoS but it is pretty archaic. Can also look at ASDL advanced settings and tone selection, but you would need more info from your ISP on how they do DSL in your area. 

Yup, it is the T1 revision as what I've checked yesterday. AnnexM is already enabled since quite some time ago (I can't remember when) and which DNS should I program? Please refer images below

The QoS has a lot of options for the DSCP Mark and tbh I'm not quite sure how to set the queueing and classification. All I did now was enable QoS and put EF as my DSCP. 

Spoiler

network1.png

networrk2.png