New fans causing power problems?

aisle9

Full story is here, but I need some quick thoughts now before I start unplugging things:

Long story short, I bought a pair of Corsair SP120 performance edition fans tonight to strap on either side of my Cryorig H7 cooler. After installing, I moved the original Cryorig QF120 fan up top with a 120mm OEM case fan, moved my two 140mm fans to become intakes and moved my old 120mm intake fan to become the new exhaust fan because of its higher CFM. My system did not like that, and refused to POST until I pulled down the OEM 120mm fan. Afterwards, it booted up just fine, even handled a couple of stress tests, but then randomly started refusing to boot again until I unplugged one of the 140mm intake fans and the Cryorig QF120 mounted to the top of the case. It booted up just fine afterwards, but I've got it turned off just in case those new fans are shorting something or somehow doing damage. Surely a board that could handle six fans at 6:00 PM yesterday can still handle six fans at 3:00 AM today, or do Corsair fans really just suck up so much power that a 750W power supply can't keep up?

Initially, I had my two front intake fans sharing a splitter, but after the first POST failure I removed that splitter and went to six fans in a case designed for six to eliminate (or so I thought) the possibility of excessive power draw. When I say the system doesn't POST, I mean that it either powers up, then within three seconds powers back down, and cycles like that until I unplug it. Sometimes, it manages to hold power and run the fans up to 100%, but it doesn't POST. It just runs until I reset it.

Does it sound like bad fans, good fans that just draw a ton of power, or potentially other issues caused by the new fans? I swear, I didn't have any of these problems when I was rocking a Pentium in that case lol.

My system:

i7-4790K

Windows 10 64-bit

ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1 (BIOS 2801, Nov. 2015 update)

Cryorig H7 cooler

Patriot 16GB Viper 3 RAM (8GBx2)

EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB

Samsung 850 Pro SSD 128GB

WD Black 1TB

Antec HCG750 750W power supply

2x bGears b-blaster 140mm fans

1x Aerocool DS 120mm fan

2x Corsair SP120 performance edition fans (strapped to cooler)

1x Cryorig QF120 120mm fan

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I really don't see how 7 fans could cause your system to stop booting even though you have a 750 watt power supply. Your power supply seems reliable and your system definitely does not chew on all of those 750 watts.

Have you tried doing anything other than swapping fans out? Check for any PSU, RAM, Mobo etc failures. Make sure all of your cables are inserted fully? No metal exposed from any of them, same goes for cable ties? Done an anti-virus on a successful boot?

you don't need so many fans, Make sure the cpu fan slot is taken by a 3pin so that it is reporting correctly..

Other than that, try put it back the way it was and see how it goes..

Really beyond 2 intake and 1 -2 exhaust, you will see no difference unless your running them all at low rpm..

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

You have a "very efficient" system, i think 750W is more than overkill for the components you have. This is very weird, considering that sometimes it posts and then later on with the same components it doesn't, the instability might very well lie in the PSU, but i doubt that it's the shortage of power. 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

2 minutes ago, miniahobbie said:

Have you tried doing anything other than swapping fans out? Check for any PSU, RAM, Mobo etc failures. Make sure all of your cables are inserted fully? No metal exposed from any of them, same goes for cable ties? Done an anti-virus on a successful boot?

Anti-virus was done this past weekend, clean. Cables all look good. I tend to rule out PSU, RAM and mobo because until putting in the new fans, there was literally nothing wrong with the system hardware. A little bit of software instability surrounding Core Temp freezing/crashing my PC, and OpenCL not working. That seems to be a common issue with Core Temp, and OpenCL indicated a graphics card crash, probably as a result of my OCing it.

1 minute ago, Dzzope said:

you don't need so many fans, Make sure the cpu fan slot is taken by a 3pin so that it is reporting correctly..

Other than that, try put it back the way it was and see how it goes..

Really beyond 2 intake and 1 -2 exhaust, you will see no difference unless your running them all at low rpm..

CPU slots should be taken up by DC connectors only? Cryorig's H7 comes with a four-pin for the CPU, and again, no problems until the Corsairs went in.

1 minute ago, Pepi28 said:

You have a "very efficient" system, i think 750W is more than overkill for the components you have. This is very weird, considering that sometimes it posts and then later on with the same components it doesn't, the instability might very well lie in the PSU, but i doubt that it's the shortage of power. 

The PSU was on sale for $47. Couldn't pass that up, even though I agree that it's total overkill. I've never seen more than half of those 750 watts used at a time. I'm led to believe that the PSU isn't the issue, based upon the system working fine until this evening.

Might need a 4 pin to report properly.. If the 4 pin in the cpu-fan slot fixes it, thats what it is..

Just now, Dzzope said:

Might need a 4 pin to report properly.. If the 4 pin in the cpu-fan slot fixes it, thats what it is..

The Corsairs are four-pins. Maybe running them as PWM is what's causing the problem? I'll try and get into BIOS to set them up as DC and test that theory out. I'm not hurting the system if it bootloops (best term I can come up with for this) if it can't muster up enough power to POST, right?

It's not a power issue, I can tell you that for sure.

Is there any error or post code your getting or just insta power cycle?

Insta power cycle, although there is one very important bit that I forgot initially (it's 4 AM): whenever the computer recovers from one of these cycles after I disconnect fans, I get sent to a BIOS screen saying that overclocking failed, and I should hit F1 to enter BIOS.

Usually worth dropping any oc to troubleshoot a boot issue anyway. so yea go ahead... Just means you'll have to re-do your OC.

Although if you can save to a profile first.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did once hitting BIOS the very first time. Same problems at stock voltages, both auto and cranked up manually to 1.231 (highest it goes to by itself).

Might be worth a reset. Hard or soft.

1 minute ago, Dzzope said:

Might be worth a reset. Hard or soft.

I'm quite literally passing out in my chair now, although I have tried that already. Once I get a break from work tomorrow, I think it'd be best to put the fans that were previously in the case back in there and see what happens. If everything runs smoothly, it's the new fans doing something. If things continue to crash, bigger problems.

Good luck with it, Hope it's a simple fix.

Just now, Dzzope said:

Good luck with it, Hope it's a simple fix.

If the fans shorted out my motherboard, or worse, my CPU, I might just lose it. Fortunately, I'm within the return window for the CPU, and there are plenty of Z97 mobos out there if I need one. Thanks for your help, and if you have any other ideas, I'm all ears.