Learning Java

Hi, so I left off with my two years of high school programming for Java and I would like to continue with this. I was just wondering, what would be some good resources to use to continue learning and advance forward? I'm interested in getting a degree, so I want to prepare for that. 

I used a Java Gaddis Early Objects book, not sure if that's good or bad. 

3 hours ago, Ariito said:

lynda.com

Anything like free... or...

Not sure how advanced two years of high school programming is. What's the last/most complex concept you learned?

If you want to go further into Java, here are two resources I've used:

Head First Design Patterns: http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Design-Patterns-Freeman/dp/0596007124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454306941&sr=8-1&keywords=java+design+patterns

Very useful and foundation-building if you don't know many patterns.

I own the Java 7 version of Kumar and Sharma's OCP certification guide: http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Certified-Professional-Programmer-1Z0-809/dp/1484218353/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454307021&sr=8-4&keywords=oracle+certified+professional

These two books and some experience were all I needed for OCMJD certification.

I'm not sure on other college/universities but I get access to lynda for free through my university. As for free... codeacademy?

On 2/1/2016 at 1:14 AM, Ariito said:

I'm not sure on other college/universities but I get access to lynda for free through my university. As for free... codeacademy?

Looks alright, I'll try it

If that doesn't work, I think the Java Gaddis book of Early Objects should work, my teacher told me that it was the same book that they used at a college 

23 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

Codecademy is likely too basic for you at this point.

^^This. And Gaddis's book of Early Objects is likely too basic, too. 

Programming classes will teach you syntax and language features: you shouldn't look for those in a book. You should be looking for books that will teach you good habits - good ways to organize and think critically. A Design Patterns book, for example. 

Besides Coursera, I can't think of any free resources suitable for programmers that aren't complete beginners. And even then Coursera isn't the most comprehensive/readily available resource. If I were you I'd shell out for a book which you'll always have at hand as a reference until you don't need it anymore. 

tutorialspoint.com is a website which has tutorials for many Java technologies. Many of their tuts aren't very correct, but it doesn't hurt to try ;)

8 hours ago, Mikeak172 said:

khan academy has some really good advanced tutorials and its free

Cool, but it doesn't have any Java nor Android ones.