Multiple Programming Languages

Tuero

I am taking CS in school, and it is getting to the point where we are learning a good number of languages (we have currently been 'taught' python, visual basic, java, c, assembly, and now starting c++). Some of the languages share quite a bit of syntax (java/c/c++) and the only way to get better is to practice practice practice, what do you find helps you to keep your 'tools sharp' with all the languages you may know. Like if you are primarily using one or two languages day to day for work or whatever, do you try implementing the same thing in a different language? It just seems that we are being thrown a lot of different stuff and by the time you are learning your third or fourth language you start to forget some stuff you may have done in python. 

Currently, I find myself going back to the languages like python and java and implementing stuff we learned from C like data structures, etc. It just seems like there is so much information out there for each language its hard to keep it all in your head!

this sucks I have had the same problem keeping syntax in memory I just practice. There has be a better solution but I have not found one.

• Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core | GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD3P | Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX | Corsair Carbide Series 200R -- WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Sandisk SSD 128GB | Corsair CX 750W | AOC e2250Swdn Black 22" | Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) |

As you have mentioned many languages share different aspects. This is the difference between learning a programming language and learning programming itself.

Programming skills are transferable between most languages. Whatever language you use MVC is still MVC, Classes are still classes, most operators are the same.

You will most likely find a language you prefer and spend more time learning the finer details about built in functions and features that you can use but when learning it is good to be exposed to a wide variety of languages.

Oh lord yes.  I know a good bit of Python and am getting sorta decent with Haskell, and Haskell has ruined so many things for me.  I now think of solving problems in terms of infinite lists, lazy evaluation, and super functional stuff, which doesn't always translate super well into Python (though by and large, it can).  But this is more an issue of trying to use fundamental concepts that are weird to the language, rather than just mixing up syntax.

It's very common to learn multiple languages, then only actually use some of them for a long time. You'll likely continue getting better with those specific languages, as well as many general programming concepts, however you're going to get rusty in the languages you don't use. How fast you'll be able to shake off that rust can vary based on your previous experiences. In many cases you're merely just refreshing your memory on the syntax and libraries, and perhaps the "language x" way of doing things.