Maximizing gigabit internet?

Osman2016

So I recently upgraded from 400mbps to gigabit internet.

When I run my cable modem directly to my computer I can get anywhere from 700 to 800 on a speedtest but when I connect it to my router (Nighthawk R7000) I drop to around 600 on the same speed test. I have updated my firmware, disconnected all other devices but still have the same issue.

Is there anything else I can do to speed things up? I was wondering if there would be any advantage with running two ethernet connections to my main computer as well.

Thanks

Most SpeedTest testing connections are 1gbit. There are several people likely that same connection to test at the same time as you so the connection will be slightly saturated. Meaning that isn't necessarily an accurate test at those speeds. I'm not sure about the two connections idea but i'd try it if you have a spare cable. 

Is this really a problem however, is there any reason why you need to stay connected to the Nighthawk?

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Just to clarify, my issue isn't that I am not getting a 1gbit speed test. But rather that my speed is dropping just by connecting my PC through my router compared to if I connect it directly to my cable modem. 

Most consumer routers, and I believe even the Nighthawk, don't have the hardware to route at such high speeds. Switching on the local network and wireless are handled by specialized chips that can run at full speed, but routing goes through the CPU. The nighthawk line is really powerful, but I would think the CPU is still your bottleneck.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

If on Gigabit, I suggest you upgrade your internal network hardware.

I recommend Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-Lite. Any Gigabit capable switch and some good Access Points (AC LR, AC PRO from Ubiquiti).

Comb it with a brick

Are you running any kind of firewall or filter rules or some bandwidth limiter. The funny thing is that all those routers are advertised that they achieve idk 2Gbps of pure wireless badass. However nobody mentions what their actual routing performance is. Also worth noting is that you should make sure the cable modem is in bridge mode and is not doing NAT or any kind of routing. Because that would cause a BIG bottleneck.