Practical Learning Resource for Programming

irazorx1

This is a site that I have recently started to use called http://exercism.io/.

The site provides you with practical problems in a language of your choosing which will not only teach you the language but will try to get you into good habits in terms of testing and iterative development.

Currently they have 30 languages which they support with varying levels of examples. So if you're looking to learn a language, chances are there's something there for you.

Cheers,

irazorx1.

PS: Although this isn't strictly related to what's above but if you're on Windows it might be worth looking at ConEmu, I prefer it to the standard offerings.

This site seems decent but it feels a little lacking when compared to other similar sites. There's not a lot of challenges available for every language and they don't all have the same amount. Here are the number of problems for some languages.

• Python - 55
  • C++ - 34
  • Java - 36
  • Go - 72
  • Haskell - 70
  • F# - 34
  • OCaml - 19

It would be nice to be allowed to submit through their website since all you're doing is submitting a single code file. Currently you only have their command line tool (which works fine and some people may prefer anyway). It would also be nice to see tests run against submitted code but at least they give you some test cases to run yourself.

Still, if you're into these kinds of sites, it's another one you can add to your list.

Yeah, as you say it's by no means perfect. What really drew me to it was that it had examples on Rust which makes you solve a problem rather than just looking through the API documentation (which is good) and seeing 'fn x returns y' but not knowing why you would need that.

Also any advice on doing posts like this would be appretiated, I'm not sure if there's a prefered way that people want programming posts done in terms of tagging and formatting.