Do I need a DAC?

seduce_me

Hello,

This is my second time posting in LTT forum. A few weeks ago, I saw a HD650 for a good price and couldn't resist it. :P  I now realize that I need an amp to power these headphones but I am still unsure if I really need a DAC or I could save up for an even better amp.

My mobo is GA-Z97-D3H and it has an ALC1150 codec that can support 24bit/192KHz:

http://www.gigabyte.sg/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4961#ov

Thanks for your help! :)

post-288779-0-86781600-1453889020.png

Schiit Stack maybe? You could also probably survive on a FiiO E10K or something of the likes 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

+1 for no DAC

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

No dac, just a schiit  magni 2 if you need an amp, but i would wait until you get the headphones to determine if you need an amp

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just try your headphones first, if you experience some noise then there are several troubleshooting steps you can take layed out by other LTT members already.

If you don't want to go through all of that and just have money to blow. Then get something like a Modi 2 B-stock or cheaper.

Also most likely you will have music at 44.1 kHz so you should set it at that or use WASAPI. I've have had bad experiences with resampling when setting the Hertz too high.

Nothing to add to the last four posts. Magni 2 or Vali 2 if you want to play with toobs.