PSU and cable extensions

JoshPC

Here's my question:

My power supply has 1x 6+2 pin and 1x 6 pin, however the cable extensions I bought are both 6+2 pins because I got a full set of cable extensions.

Question 1:

My 6+2 pin on the PSU would I plug that into the extended cable socket and only plug the 6 pin into the GPU because that's all it requires?

Question 2:

With the 6 pin connector would I plug the into the 8 pin (leaving 2 sockets blank) and plug the 6 only into the GPU.

I hope this makes sense :/

Here's my question:

My power supply has 1x 6+2 pin and 1x 6 pin, however the cable extensions I bought are both 6+2 pins because I got a full set of cable extensions.

Question 1:

My 6+2 pin on the PSU would I plug that into the extended cable socket and only plug the 6 pin into the GPU because that's all it requires?

Question 2:

With the 6 pin connector would I plug the into the 8 pin (leaving 2 sockets blank) and plug the 6 only into the GPU.

I hope this makes sense :/

This is confusing either attach photos, or let us know what PSU and GPU you have. 

Cheers

Yes.

I think.

I'm a bit tired, but what reading comprehension I have at this point makes me say yes.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

My PSU is the XFX XTR 550w bronze. It has one 6+2 connector and one 6 connector.

As u can see they both split off into 6+2 but both require a 6+2 to power.

post-267949-0-93423200-1453681425.jpg

post-267949-0-90477800-1453681457.jpg

This is confusing either attach photos, or let us know what PSU and GPU you have. 

Cheers

I have

My PSU is the XFX XTR 550w bronze. It has one 6+2 connector and one 6 connector.

As u can see they both split off into 6+2 but both require a 6+2 to power.

It will be fine if you only need 6 pins for the GPU and hookup 6 pins to the extension, you can tuck the extra +2 pins off to the side.

It will be fine if you only need 6 pins for the GPU and hookup 6 pins to the extension, you can tuck the extra +2 pins off to the side.

But the cable extension socket has 8 sockets and the other GPU connector has 6 pins. Would that work if I'm on,y going to be plugging the 6 pin in anyway

But the cable extension socket has 8 sockets and the other GPU connector has 6 pins. Would that work if I'm on,y going to be plugging the 6 pin in anyway

The extension is universal, hence why it's a 6+2. If your GPU only requires an 6+2 and a 6, then that's all it needs. Leaving the other 2 on the second 6+2 extension empty will be fine. It's just extra cable. 

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

To make sure your GPU has one 6 pin and one 8 pin. 

If you were to use the extension since they are both 8 pin but one of the PCI-E connector on the PSU is only 6 pin you can leave the +2 unpopulated for the 6 pin on the PSU. 

To make sure your GPU has one 6 pin and one 8 pin. 

If you were to use the extension since they are both 8 pin but one of the PCI-E connector on the PSU is only 6 pin you can leave the +2 unpopulated for the 6 pin on the PSU.

The extension is universal, hence why it's a 6+2. If your GPU only requires an 6+2 and a 6, then that's all it needs. Leaving the other 2 on the second 6+2 extension empty will be fine. It's just extra cable.

Yes I know I'm talking about the actual extension socket it's self which has 8 sockets and isn't detachable. If I want to SLI the other PCI-e power cord on my PSU is a single 6 pin but the extension socket has 8 holes. Would I be able to plug the 6 pin from the PSU into the extension which has 8 sockets to then the GPU but only plug in 6 because it's a 6+2.

Yes I know I'm talking about the actual extension socket it's self which has 8 sockets and isn't detachable. If I want to SLI the other PCI-e power cord on my PSU is a single 6 pin but the extension socket has 8 holes. Would I be able to plug the 6 pin from the PSU into the extension which has 8 sockets to then the GPU but only plug in 6 because it's a 6+2.

You would want an adapter or sleeved cable that converted from a 6 pin to 8 pin in that case if you have a dual 8 pin GPU. 

You would want an adapter or sleeved cable that converted from a 6 pin to 8 pin in that case if you have a dual 8 pin GPU.

I have a single GPU which requires only one 6 pin.

In the future I want to SLI with the same GPU.