Python/Linux

I am wanting to learn a little Python and how to use Linux so I can maximize my chances of getting into a desired university. I was wondering if Linux is the best OS to learn it on and what version etc I would need to install.

tyvm all help appreciated.

I5 4670k | 7870 Tahiti LE | 1600MHz 2x4GB

I am wanting to learn a little Python and how to use Linux so I can maximize my chances of getting into a desired university. I was wondering if Linux is the best OS to learn it on and what version etc I would need to install.

Why Python? Nah. Java all the way. Reffer to this thread!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/49344-good-language-to-start-with/

xD

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Why Python? Nah. Java all the way. Reffer to this thread!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/49344-good-language-to-start-with/

xD

Despite saying "tyvm all help appreciated" this really isn't helpful. Do you suggest I just call up the university(s) and tell them Python is inferior to Java and that they MUST teach Java?

You didn't say that you need Python, you said it like if you were looking for light in a dark corridor and you picked Python randomly.

If you really want to learn Python go ahead it's surely a nice language to start with, I did learn small amount of coding knowledge by coding for a Mount & Blade Warband modification in 2010 in Python environment but it was really small and simple addon. That's all my experience with python though :)

Good luck mate!

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

You didn't say that you need Python, you said it like if you were looking for light in a dark corridor and you picked Python randomly.

If you really want to learn Python go ahead it's surely a nice language to start with, I did learn small amount of coding knowledge by coding a Mount & Blade Warband in 2010 in Python environment but it was really small and simple addon. That's all my experience with python though :)

Good luck mate!

Yeah I suppose your right haha, Thanks!

The best thing about Python is there's no best operating system to run it on. It runs on all of them, and all of them are the same. Eclipse has a python development plugin, and since Eclipse is cross-platform, you can use it on Linux, OS X or Windows.

If you want to tinker around with the OS though, Linux is the better choice. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I get errors when I install Ubuntu onto an empty partition so I am going to install it to the same drive my windows is on, what are my rules as far as using defragmenters/disk cleanup tools?

I don't think any of this will actually increase your chances at getting into a university as such. Sure, familiarizing yourself before courses start is ideal but actually getting in doesn't go off your Linux 'abilities'. Look at what their entrance requirements are and go from there.

I don't think any of this will actually increase your chances at getting into a university as such. Sure, familiarizing yourself before courses start is ideal but actually getting in doesn't go off your Linux 'abilities'. Look at what their entrance requirements are and go from there.

Trust me it will, you are from New Zealand and in the UK your applications are processed differently, based on what experience, and using proof like learning Python in your own time shows enthusiasm which is what they are looking for along side exam results.

Trust me it will, you are from New Zealand and in the UK your applications are processed differently, based on what experience, and using proof like learning Python in your own time shows enthusiasm which is what they are looking for along side exam results.

Python is a great language and good for small things, (I am assuming here we are talking computer science) however learning a compiled programming language would look even more enticing. 

Proving you are comfortable with the concepts of efficient programming and object oriented systems will give you a big boost. 

Of course you should most definately get used to python first, and it shouldn't really matter which platform you use, use what you are comfortable with.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Might as well learn Python. I did Python in first year, and now we're going to be using Java and C++ in second year, I believe.