Do the new Intel Atom chips (Cherry Trail) support Windows XP?

Obviously there are loads of low cost Windows XP machines out there but I'd like the benefit of the new power efficient Atom chips and the small devices that come with them.

Device will be used for playing older PC games that require a potato to run like Lego Star Wars, Rayman 3 and Fifa 2000. There are no compatibility issues I've ran into with these games on newer operating systems, it's just for nostalgia purposes of remembering someone.

May i ask why you would wand a XP Machine to run games on? XP Is no loger supported and has alot of security issues.

A little counter intuitive.. but I would assume so, considering I haven't heard any information otherwise 

All of those games can run on a machine running Windows 10 via compatibility options though..

As far as I know, there's nothing stopping a newer CPU from running an older OS. You're more likely to find a problem doing the reverse. It's not really advisable to go all the way back to Windows XP, though.

Might be wiser to use Windows 7 with the Classic appearance options, so it looks a bit more like XP.

The compatibility won't be about the CPU. It comes down to the motherboard manufacturers. Win XP is x86-based which is the instruction set used by almost all Intel Processors, all Atoms included. You should worry about finding drivers for the components built into the motherboards.