First Build

BigChem

Hello All

Im looking for some input on a plan i have for my first PC build ever.  I am in the Chicago Illinois area.  Basically what i want is something that will run 1080p games well.  I mainly play,CS:Go, league of legends, overall not very demanding games, But i Do buy the occasional big title like fallout 4.  It will also be used for answering emails, typical web stuff, excel as i do work from home.  my part list so far is what follows, but please let me know your thoughts.  im not super fixed on price, but id like to end up between 700-800 $USD MAX.   I already have a monitor and Peripherals .

CPU: AMD AM3+ FX-4350 Quad Core

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Unlocked-Processor-FD4350FRHKBOX-Black/dp/B00CLBZAWY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453173721&sr=1-1&keywords=AMD+AM3%2B+FX-4350+Quad+Core

Mother Board: MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard  

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-970A-SLI-KRAIT-Motherboard/dp/B00WB9MUX8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453173822&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=MSI+970A+SLI+Krait+Edition+AM3%2B+AMD+970+SATA+6Gb%2Fs+USB+3.1+ATX+AMD+Motherboard

GPU:Asus GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit Turbo DDR5

http://www.amazon.com/GeForce-Overclocked-DisplayPort-Graphic-TURBO-GTX960-OC-4GD5/dp/B016TZUPSQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453174175&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=Asus+GTX+960+4GB+128-Bit+Turbo+DDR5

Ram: 8gb kit of some sort, im not too picky but open to recommendations

Storage:I plan to run a 120gb ssd as boot device and i have a 1tb drive that has all my steam games on I plan to use for storage.  I may add another disk in the future if needed. but i don't store tons of videos or anything. 

Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid Tower Gaming Case

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-SPEC-01-Gaming-CC-9011050-WW/dp/B00I6BJATW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453174411&sr=1-1&keywords=pc+case

Power supply:  EVGA 600 B1 80+ BRONZE, 600W Continuous Power

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Continuous-Warranty-100-B1-0600-KR/dp/B00EON40CS/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453174591&sr=1-4&keywords=pc+power+supply

And I'll be running windows 10.

I'M very new to all this so any helpful tips are appreciated. 

Great so far! :D

Get windows 7 or 8(half the price of 10) and get the free windows 10 upgrade after you've installed 7 or 8

Great so far! :D

Get windows 7 or 8(half the price of 10) and get the free windows 10 upgrade after you've installed 7 or 8

Oh really?  I didn't realize it was that much cheaper.  do you know of a good place to get it for that price, i looked at my local store and it was still 99$ for windows 8. 

Thank you for the tip BTW.

I'd go with Intel instead of AMD for their more powerful individual cores which most games like better. The R9 390 should give a solid 1080p 60FPS on Ultra for most games:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.89 @ OutletPC) 

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.88 @ OutletPC) 

Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Micro Center) 

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Directron) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($35.00 @ MicrosoftSoftwareSwap) 

Total: $784.72

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 22:57 EST-0500

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Oh really?  I didn't realize it was that much cheaper.  do you know of a good place to get it for that price, i looked at my local store and it was still 99$ for windows 8. 

Thank you for the tip BTW.

amazon

I'd go with Intel instead of AMD for their more powerful individual cores which most games like better. The R9 390 should give a solid 1080p 60FPS on Ultra for most games:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Directron) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($35.00 @ MicrosoftSoftwareSwap) 
Total: $784.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 22:57 EST-0500

I did look at the Intel cpus but they seemed really expensive compared to the AMD ones.  Also im kind of  a noob but they seem to have lower speeds, its a bit confusing that the lower speed would be a better cpu.  not saying that the intel isn't a better chip but can someone explain a little on that so i can understand. I do like the idea of getting the better graphics card tho. 

Hello All

Either step up the CPU to a Xeon 1231v3 or get a nicer case and power supply, or put the money towards a 1440p display

the 380 is a good deal faster than the 960, among other advantages like potentially better DX12/Vulkan Support

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rhLQpg

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rhLQpg/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($62.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($32.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($203.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.47 @ OutletPC)

Total: $598.28

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-19 01:13 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I did look at the Intel cpus but they seemed really expensive compared to the AMD ones.  Also im kind of  a noob but they seem to have lower speeds, its a bit confusing that the lower speed would be a better cpu.  not saying that the intel isn't a better chip but can someone explain a little on that so i can understand. I do like the idea of getting the better graphics card tho. 

AMD CPUs are about 40% slower per Ghz than intel chips, so an intel chip at 3ghz ISH is pretty much on par with an AMD chip at like 5ghz

You'd only want the AMD CPU if your budget were around 400 or so. as the G3258 can be finicky in some games being a pure dual core.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

AMD is more suited towards budget builds. Most games prefer four more powerful individual cores (GTA V and Fallout 4, for instance), so Intel is the winner between the two companies. Plus, the CPU you suggested will bottleneck the R9 390 and limit your performance.

It's worth it to shell out a bit more money, and you've got a better upgrade path with Haswell.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

AMD CPUs are about 40% slower per Ghz than intel chips, so an intel chip at 3ghz ISH is pretty much on par with an AMD chip at like 5ghz

You'd only want the AMD CPU if your budget were around 400 or so. as the G3258 can be finicky in some games being a pure dual core.

AMD is more suited towards budget builds. Most games prefer four more powerful individual cores (GTA V and Fallout 4, for instance), so Intel is the winner between the two companies. Plus, the CPU you suggested will bottleneck the R9 390 and limit your performance.

It's worth it to shell out a bit more money, and you've got a better upgrade path with Haswell.

Ok great Thank you both.  That makes more sense to me now. 

Ok one other thing, Im a little nervous about buying alot of PC parts through the Mail.  are most places pretty good about replacing damaged goods or parts that are dead on arrival.  Are there any vendors to stay away from in that regard?

Ok one other thing, Im a little nervous about buying alot of PC parts through the Mail.  are most places pretty good about replacing damaged goods or parts that are dead on arrival.  Are there any vendors to stay away from in that regard?

Anything form pcpartpicker should be fine. I'd go with @HKZeroFive build, but with an HDD.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so after doing some more thinking ive kinda decided on this build. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($188.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($86.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Total: $802.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-28 04:40 EST-0500

I was able to find the cpu at my local microcenter for 159$  and I kinda liked the aesthetic of that mother board. I know thats not a great reason to pick a mother board but I like the look and am willing to spend slightly more on it.  just not a fan of the huge blue heat sinks on the other boards suggested.    any issues i may have missed?

Ok so after doing some more thinking ive kinda decided on this build. 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($86.97 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  ($203.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $802.49

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-28 04:40 EST-0500

I was able to find the cpu at my local microcenter for 159$  and I kinda liked the aesthetic of that mother board. I know thats not a great reason to pick a mother board but I like the look and am willing to spend slightly more on it.  just not a fan of the huge blue heat sinks on the other boards suggested.    any issues i may have missed?

-If the Z97 is purely for aesthetics, that's fine but you can't overclock the CPU.

-Switch that GTX 960 to a R9 380 (Sapphire, MSI, XFX and Powercolor are all great options) for better performance.

-Change that PSU to a either a 500W SeaSonic, XFX or Antec HCG one.

Spoiler

-If the Z97 is purely for aesthetics, that's fine but you can't overclock the CPU.

-Switch that GTX 960 to a R9 380 (Sapphire, MSI, XFX and Powercolor are all great options) for better performance.

-Change that PSU to a either a 500W SeaSonic, XFX or Antec HCG one.

Ok i could not find a 500 watt seasonic but would this 550 work? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

or would this antec be better? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg520m

Ok i could not find a 500 watt seasonic but would this 550 work? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

or would this antec be better? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg520m

Whichever is cheaper, they're both good choices.

Spoiler

Ok Great, Thank you so much for your help.

I think i will go with this 380 as well.  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100384nt4goc2l

Nice choice. Sapphire definitely makes great cards.

Spoiler

Ok so Here Is what i bought today.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($37.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($67.91 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $770.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-29 03:09 EST-0500

I got it all priced matched at frys and micro center.  and the cpu was $159 like I mentioned in a previous post.  The only thing i didnt get was the cpu cooler I was intending to get. I honestly just forgot.  But Im wondering if I need one since i wont be overclocking.  i totally don't mind getting one but I would have to wait for it to ship, so could I put stock cooler on until the cooler master one gets here?

-snip-

I got it all priced matched at frys and micro center.  and the cpu was $159 like I mentioned in a previous post.  The only thing i didnt get was the cpu cooler I was intending to get. I honestly just forgot.  But Im wondering if I need one since i wont be overclocking.  i totally don't mind getting one but I would have to wait for it to ship, so could I put stock cooler on until the cooler master one gets here?

Yeah, the stock cooler would be enough.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, I built my PC about a week ago and so far its been working great, really loving it and will never buy pre built again. 

20160205_031605.jpg

jhnfghfh.png