GPU for Photoshop

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

I am German thus probably ending up at Mindfactory.de after comparing all the prices 

What is the rest of your system? She is using an i5 4440 with 2x2GB of RAM, where would you guess the issue is located?

A 240 should be plenty: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/2048MB-XFX-Radeon-R7-240-Core-Edition-Passiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_935860.html

4GB ram is probably lacking. You should probably invest in some more ram. 

Hey,

My sister complained that her rig isn't capable of running Photoshop CC as smooth as she wanted it to (in fact it was stuttering as hell).

ATM she is running on the igra of her Haswell(non refresh) i5, namely the Intel HD 4600.

I would love to get her a suitable GPU but I do not know anything about how demanding Photoshop is or how low-end GPUs compare.

I am hoping to get away with a ~50-75€ card, if it is cheaper ill sure as hell take that, if it is more expensive (say one needs a 750ti) I'll take the bitter pill

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to any answers,

Chalky

Just about any decent graphics card with a good amount of vram would be plenty. 

Where are you shopping/located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

photoshop is not intensive it runs ok on my HD 4600

a 750ti does mean rendering will take less time however

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just about any decent graphics card with a good amount of vram would be plenty. 

Where are you shopping/located?

I am German thus probably ending up at Mindfactory.de after comparing all the prices 

photoshop is not intensive it runs ok on my HD 4600

a 750ti does mean rendering will take less time however

What is the rest of your system? She is using an i5 4440 with 2x2GB of RAM, where would you guess the issue is located?

A 240 should be plenty: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/2048MB-XFX-Radeon-R7-240-Core-Edition-Passiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_935860.html

4GB ram is probably lacking. You should probably invest in some more ram. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

the ram

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hey,

My sister complained that her rig isn't capable of running Photoshop CC as smooth as she wanted it to (in fact it was stuttering as hell).

ATM she is running on the igra of her Haswell(non refresh) i5, namely the Intel HD 4600.

I would love to get her a suitable GPU but I do not know anything about how demanding Photoshop is or how low-end GPUs compare.

I am hoping to get away with a ~50-75€ card, if it is cheaper ill sure as hell take that, if it is more expensive (say one needs a 750ti) I'll take the bitter pill

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to any answers,

Chalky

You might find this useful at some point.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

I think RAM might be holding you back like others have pointed out, if I remember correctly PhotoShop is a RAM hog over GPU for the most part but don't quote me on that.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I was able to use photoshop on a salvaged build that I made for 80$

the specs where not great

Old build:

single core amd cpu 1.8 ghz

4 GB DDR2 ram

XFX GTS 250

I was able to run Photoshop CS5 and Flash CS5 fine (up to a point), not sure why it stutters. I never had problems when i used CC either, Im not sure what to tell you other than what you where going to do.

Hey mang, I build Computers and I draw stuff.

Thank you for all your answers, I'll get an 8gig stick tonight and close the issue once I know whether it worked

Thank you for all your answers, I'll get an 8gig stick tonight and close the issue once I know whether it worked

How many free memory slots does your sister's machine have available?

It would be better to install memory in matching pairs, because that is required for dual-channel memory operation. 2x2 GB + 1x8 GB will disable dual-channel mode, and therefore cut her memory bandwidth in half. 4x2 GB (or 2x2 + 2x8) would be better, if it's a typical board with four total slots.

Since 

How many free memory slots does your sister's machine have available?

Since she only had 2 memory slots I decided to swap out the entirety of her RAM, partly because there is now the possibility to upgrade to 16GB and partly because a single 8GB stick was cheaper than 2 4gig ones