Security Systems?

elliott35

Hey all, my brothers house got broken into the other day and I was doing some preliminary research on security systems/cameras and I was realizing that there are very limited reviews on the subject. I worked at Best buy and know a little bit about the smart home cameras like the nest cam and arlo but am completely unfamiliar with setting up a more serious system (CCTV & whatnot)... Does anyone have any good recommendations for reviews and or thoughts on what system or combo of components would work best? Should I go with IP cams and a NAS setup?

Thanks,

Elliott35

Also, dont know if this post is in the right spot.. There doesn't seem to be a spot for it

Hey all, my brothers house got broken into the other day and I was doing some preliminary research on security systems/cameras and I was realizing that there are very limited reviews on the subject. I worked at Best buy and know a little bit about the smart home cameras like the nest cam and arlo but am completely unfamiliar with setting up a more serious system (CCTV & whatnot)... Does anyone have any good recommendations for reviews and or thoughts on what system or combo of components would work best? Should I go with IP cams and a NAS setup?

Thanks,

Elliott35

Also, dont know if this post is in the right spot.. There doesn't seem to be a spot for it

I have installed cameras for businesses in the past never for homes though. I would recommend going with IP cams and a dedicated system with 250 gb of drive space per camera. Do not go for less than 720 cameras as 480p will not be enough to get a good image for the police should they need one. If you can get 1080p cameras. I do not have any recommendations as I do not know a budget, set goal, features desires ect. I would look into lorex as they are the brand which I pretty much use exclusively.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/

Thanks,

Elliott35

Get IP cams atleast 720p.. Go for 1080p if possible. Anything below that is usless when it comes to identifying the guy. Go with a NAS system with good NAS/surveillance drives. I use FreeNAS but thats advanced for most people

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

I actually have a freenas server setup running plex so i am familiar. Would that be better than a system like this from Lorex? I like the all in oneness of that system.

or this one that i get a discount on?