Oculus Rift Upgrade

xAssassin124x

I plan on upgrading my PC for the Oculus Rift and need some reccomendations for the CPU and motherboard (also intend on getting a better case).

This is my current system (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/TKvCGX) but since the Rift needs an intel cpy to work, I need to change some things.

I have a budget of around £300 for the upgrades but saving some money for the headset would also be nice. 

Are you sure that you need an intel CPU for it to work? I think you need 3x USB 3.0 too. Which you have 2 on the motherboard and 1 in the case. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

£300 won't get you anywhere near close to a spec to run the oculus rift properly.

Well it's upgrades. I think he has some of the parts already. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Are you sure that you need an intel CPU for it to work?

It's a pretty good bet the current AMD CPUs just won't do the trick.

I plan on upgrading my PC for the Oculus Rift and need some reccomendations for the CPU and motherboard (also intend on getting a better case).

This is my current system (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/TKvCGX) but since the Rift needs an intel cpy to work, I need to change some things.

I have a budget of around £300 for the upgrades but saving some money for the headset would also be nice. 

Well all you would really need is a new motherboard and a i5 cpu, and should be good to go. Probably no budget for a case with $300.

I would get the MSI Z97 Krait and a i5 4690k if I were to choose. 

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

It's a pretty good bet the current AMD CPUs just won't do the trick.

I'm sure if you overclocked it high enough it should be fine. If my i5 3570 meets the spec the 8320 should do with an OC .

I'm sure if you overclocked it high enough it should be fine. If my i5 3570 meets the spec the 8320 should do with an OC .

He would need a new motherboard for more usb ports anyhow :P but I think it would barely make it as well.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

An overclocked FX-8320 has nowhere near the singlethreaded performance of a Core i5-3570, and unfortunately good multithreaded performance (which the 8320 has) isn't always enough.

Oculus' recommended hardware specifications only mention Intel CPUs. Technically a Core i5-4590 is the minimum, but realistically a 3570 should do alright.

Anyway, OP, a Core i5-4690K and an affordable Z97 board should put you in business.

He would need a new motherboard for more usb ports anyhow :P but I think it would barely make it as well.

it could probably run the earlier titles I guess but struggle later on down the road when VR games become even more intensive. 

An overclocked FX-8320 has nowhere near the singlethreaded performance of a Core i5-3570, and unfortunately good multithreaded performance (which the 8320 has) isn't always enough.

Oculus' recommended hardware specifications only mention Intel CPUs. Technically a Core i5-4590 is the minimum, but realistically a 3570 should do alright.

Anyway, OP, a Core i5-4690K and an affordable Z97 board should put you in business.

Yeah, well if nvidia say that I'm VR ready I better be because one is coming my way xD. Do you think it could be worth going pre-owned for the mobo and the CPU or just not worth the risk? 

it could probably run the earlier titles I guess but struggle later on down the road when VR games become even more intensive. 

Or when they stop optimizing there games. If only every game was as optimized as GTA V :(

He has 3 usb 3.0 ports though... and 1 usb 2.0. 

He has 3 usb 3.0 ports though... and 1 usb 2.0. 

One is on the case though. I believe you need them all towards the back or the connector won't be long enough/be annoying.

One is on the case though. I believe you need them all towards the back or the connector won't be long enough/be annoying.

Well if worse comes to worst you could always get a USB 3.0 5.5inch adaptor thing.

hree unused USB 3.0 ports and one unused 2.0 port are recommended.

1x 3.0 USB port for the headset

1x 3.0 USB port for the 3D Positional Tracker

1x 3.0 USB port for Oculus Touch (available at a later date)

1x 2.0 USB port for Xbox wireless controller

You technically only need 2 3.0's for now. 

Yeah, well if nvidia say that I'm VR ready I better be because one is coming my way xD. Do you think it could be worth going pre-owned for the mobo and the CPU or just not worth the risk? 

Really hard to say.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably go with this  :D