TCP Segment Vs. IP Packet

Hey everyone, I've just recently gotten an study book for the CompTIA Network+ exam. It refers to TCP segments and IP packets as different things, but never clearly explains the difference. Is there anyone out there that could help me out with this, and explain the difference a little?

Hey everyone, I've just recently gotten an study book for the CompTIA Network+ exam. It refers to TCP segments and IP packets as different things, but never clearly explains the difference. Is there anyone out there that could help me out with this, and explain the difference a little?

Think of an IP packet as the envelope that gets mailed out from your house to a friend's house. A TCP segment would be a note that you put inside the envelope that you'd mail to your friend saying "I got your last letter, send another one".

I'm sure somebody with a LOT more technical knowledge than me is going to chime in and give you a proper explanation.

TCP segment is the protocol data unit which consists a TCP header and an application data piece (packet) which comes from the (upper) Application Layer. Transport layer data is generally named as segment and network layer data unit is named as datagram but when we use UDP as transport layer protocol we don't say UDP segment, instead, we say UDP datagram. I think this is because we do not segmentate UDP data unit (segmentation is made in transport layer when we use TCP).

Hope this helps

post-302403-0-68516200-1452889035.gif

Think of an IP packet as the envelope that gets mailed out from your house to a friend's house. A TCP segment would be a note that you put inside the envelope that you'd mail to your friend saying "I got your last letter, send another one".

I'm sure somebody with a LOT more technical knowledge than me is going to chime in and give you a proper explanation.

TCP segment is the protocol data unit which consists a TCP header and an application data piece (packet) which comes from the (upper) Application Layer. Transport layer data is generally named as segment and network layer data unit is named as datagram but when we use UDP as transport layer protocol we don't say UDP segment, instead, we say UDP datagram. I think this is because we do not segmentate UDP data unit (segmentation is made in transport layer when we use TCP).

Hope this helps

attachicon.gifcRYGa.gif

Actually these helped a lot guys. Thanks!